PPC Application and Approval Process
Professional Performance Certificate (PPC webpage)
1. Students complete the online application form found here. The application asks for name, contact information, references, etc.
2. The application goes directly to Maddy Benjamin, who starts a file and replies to the applicant, copying the PPC director (Elizabeth Chang) and the appropriate applied faculty member. The reply to the applicant contains the following:
- whom to contact to arrange an audition or DVD audition;
- whom to contact to schedule a phone/Skype interview if not able to audition in person;
- where to send copies of diplomas/transcripts.
If a particular studio area is not planning to accept students in the PPC program in any given year, Maddy Benjamin should be notified as soon as possible so she can respond appropriately to these applicants.
3. Faculty members review the application materials, including contacting the references listed on the application, and schedule auditions (or view DVDs). The audition/DVD review would normally be conducted by the same faculty member/group that hears other auditions.
4. Students for whom English is not their native language must be interviewed by the appropriate faculty member(s) via phone or Skype. It is essential that the student has sufficient English skills to function effectively in the PPC program.
5. Following this review, if an applied faculty/area is recommending admission, a meeting should be scheduled with the department chair (primarily to discuss the impact on applied loads and credit-hour production). For this meeting, the faculty member should prepare a list of proposed duties for each applicant, keeping in mind that the full-time work/study load for students in this program is a minimum of 40 hours/week (required to document that this program is "full-time" work). Please see PPC Goals and Requirements for specific information.
This would normally include approximately ten contact hours of instruction with faculty (lessons, studio classes, and directed ensembles, opera, chamber music or other collaborative experiences) plus at least thirty hours of individual practice and preparation.
6. The department chair will indicate approval (signature/date on PPC Approval Form) and will forward the file to Maddy Benjamin who prepares a letter of admission (under the department chair’s signature) including a description of duties. Maddy also prepares notification letters for students who are not accepted into the program. Maddy should also be notified if an applicant declines attendance to the faculty member.
7. Payment of the PPC fee by the Friday before classes start in the fall will signify final acceptance into the program.
Please review all the information on the main PPC webpage if you are considering accepting students into this program. The approximate cost to domestic students is $856 and $1006 for international students.
International students must initiate their visa process with the International Programs Office under the supervision of the applied studio teacher.