The Minor in Music is an option for focused music study while majoring in another subject. The emphasis is on performance on your instrument/voice, and an audition is required for acceptance into the program. The Minor can be focused on either classical or jazz studies.
All applicants for the Minor in Music must successfully pass an audition. Please sign up for an audition by filling out the Audition Request Form. Students intending to audition on the audition days in the spring semester must complete the form no later than 3 weeks prior to the preferred date. Learn more about the studio Audition Requirements.
Ensembles (conducted), 4 semesters/4 credits
Applied Lessons, 4 semesters/8 credits
Theory I (MUS 112, Fall only), 1 semester/3 credits
Aural Skills I (MUS 114, Fall only), 1 semester/1 credit
Music Literature (MUS 101, Fall or Spring), 1 semester/4 credits
Elective (at least 3 credits) to be chosen from the following list:
- ARTS-EXT 500 Introduction to Arts Management (3)
- ARTS-EXT 391A Foundations in Arts Entrepreneurship (3)
- MUS 102 African American Music & Jazz (4-AT, U)
- MUS 103 History of Jazz (4-AT, U)
- MUS 113 Music Theory II (3)
- MUS 160 American Popular Music (4-AT)
- MUS 170 or 170H Film Music (4-AT)
- MUS 195J Jazz Improv I (2) / MUS 195K Jazz Improv II (2)
- MUS 295J History of Jazz (Major) (3)
- MUS 300 Music History (3-prerequisite: MUS 101)
- MUS 301 Music History II (3-prerequisite: MUS 101)
- MUS 290W: World Music (4-AT, G)
- MUS 190M Culture, Society, & the Broadway Musical (4-AT, U)
- Any courses approved by the Undergraduate Program Committee
Total number of credits: 23-24
- All students who are enrolled in applied lessons must be concurrently enrolled in ensembles.
- Jazz minor may substitute MUS 102, MUS 103 or MUS 295J for MUS 101.
- Independent studies, practica, or ensembles may not be substituted for electives.
- No Pass/Fail courses