Music Ensembles & Performance Opportunities
Fall 2020 Ensemble information:
- MUS 563 Chamber Choir will meet in-person. *
- MUS 560 University Chorale will meet remotely.
- Women's Choir will meet remotely.
- Conductor's Chorus will meet in-person. *
- Opera Workshop will meet in-person. *
- Vocal Jazz Ensemble will meet remotely, some in-person TBD. (Will remain listed as face-to-face in SPIRE)
Orchestral Ensembles (strings only)
- MUS 566 Symphony Orchestra will meet in-person. *
- MUS 593J All-University Orchestra will meet remotely.
Wind Bands (all woodwind/brass/percussion):
- MUS 567 Symphony Band will meet remotely (will remain listed as face-to-face in SPIRE)..
- MUS 568 Wind Ensemble will meet in-person. *
Jazz Ensembles: Most Jazz Ensembles will meet remotely; check with your ensemble director or applied faculty. (All Jazz Ensembles will remain listed as face-to-face in SPIRE.) *
Chamber Ensembles: Check with the ensemble director and/or your applied faculty (studio teacher). *
Consult SPIRE or your ensemble director for details about specific ensembles not listed above.
* Any student who, for whatever reason, does not wish to participate in onsite coaching and rehearsal because of the pandemic will be accommodated on a case-by-case basis. No one will be penalized for not participating onsite.
General ensemble information:
Music Ensembles are open to all UMass Amherst students, subject to auditions held at the beginning of each semester. All ensembles perform on campus several times a year. Ensembles have also been selected to represent UMass Amherst at conventions and festivals that have included Symphony Hall in Springfield, MA; the Washington, D.C. home of the Marine Band; and the Capitol Building in Boston.
Chamber ensembles are open to all UMass Amherst students, subject to auditions held at the beginning of each semester. All chamber ensembles perform on campus several times a year. Chamber ensembles also perform off-campus at area special events and school outreach concerts.