Music Admissions: Undergraduate
Acceptance into the Music Program requires academic acceptance by the University (see University Admission standards) in addition to a successful audition and/or submission of supplemental materials.
Music majors work toward either a Bachelor of Music degree (BM) or a Bachelor of Arts in Music degree (BA). Students may also minor in music.
Please note: Certain degree programs in music - the Bachelor of Arts in Music with emphasis in Music History or Music Theory - do not require an audition for admission. Applicants must instead submit supporting materials.
Current UMass students may audition/apply for the music major or minor during the semester prior to intended entry. Click here for important information regarding enrollment for spring entry.
Admissions Process and Audition Sign-ups - Three Steps!
Step #1: Apply to UMass Amherst (students already enrolled at UMass can skip this step)
- Prospective undergraduate students (incoming freshman and transfers) must apply to UMass using the Common App.
- See the Deadline Summary below for Common Application deadlines.
- Click here for additional information about applying for mid-year entry as a music student.
Step #2: Submit a Music Application
- By completing and submitting a Music Application, applicants will note their audition instrument, intended music degree track, audition day selection, musical background, and more!
- Applicants are expected to have completely filed the Common App to UMass Amherst before submitting the Music Application.
- See the Deadline Summary below for Music Application deadlines.
- Before submitting the Music Application, applicants should check the audition requirements for their instrument.
- If applying for a program which does not require an audition (i.e. the BA degree with emphasis in Music History or Music Theory), applicants should instead check the supporting materials requirements.
Step #3: Audition!
- Students who are required to audition are expected to do so by one of three methods:
1. Live Audition Day (recommended) - Applicants pick one of several audition days to perform an audition on campus.
- The music admissions office will contact applicants with their audition time 2 weeks prior to the selected date.
- This option is not available for students enrolling for mid-year entry (i.e. beginning classes in the spring semester).
2. Special Arrangement - Students who wish to audition live but are unavailable for any of the audition days may elect to have an audition date and time coordinated directly with the faculty.
- Students must email the Music Admissions Director at firstname.lastname@example.org with their availability after submitting the Music Application.
3. Remote Audition - Students unable to attend a live audition due to travel or health restrictions may submit a Remote audition.
- All Remote Auditions require faculty approval. Applicants must email email@example.com prior to submitting a Music Application to request permission.
Audition Deadline Information
- All auditions and supporting material submissions for prospective freshman music majors (including the Music Theory Diagnostic Exam) must be complete by February 19, 2022.
- All other undergraduate auditions for Fall 2022 entry are encouraged (but not required) to be completed by this date. See the Deadline Summary below for an outline of when auditions must be completed.
- All students applying to the major or minor in music must complete a Music Theory Diagnostic Exam. Details on when and how the exam will be taken will be sent to applicants in the same email containing their audition time.
- For those programs which do not require an audition (i.e. the BA degree with emphasis in Music History or Music Theory), students must instead submit supporting materials with the Music Application.
MUSIC AUDITION DAYS
UPDATE DEC. 9, 2021: Due to the ongoing concerns of the COVID-19 pandemic, the Department of Music & Dance is extending its Patron COVID-19 Safety Policy to all Live Audition Days in 2022.
In brief, all attendees for the Live Audition Days on Jan. 26, Feb. 5, 7, 12, and 19, must be prepared to show proof of vaccination against COVID-19 or proof of a negative COVID test taken within the last 72 hours.
Music auditions take place in the East Wing of the Bromery Center for the Arts on campus. Dates for Fall 2022 entry are as follows:
CLASSICAL STRING INSTRUMENTS (violin, viola, cello, double bass)
Wednesday, January 26, 2022
Monday, February 7, 2022
ALL OTHER INSTRUMENTS/VOICE
Saturday, February 5, 2022 (No clarinet)
Saturday, February 12, 2022
Saturday, February 19, 2022
Click here for audition requirements by instrument.
SUMMARY OF DEADLINES, 2021-22 Undergraduate Admissions Cycle
November 5, 2021
- Early Action application deadline for prospective freshman for Fall 2022 entry
- Transfer application deadline for Spring 2022 entry
December 8, 2021
- Deadline of auditions and supporting materials for Spring 2022 entry
January 15, 2022
- Regular Decision application deadline for prospective freshman for Fall 2022 entry
- Music Application deadline for prospective freshman music majors for Fall 2022 entry
February 19, 2022
- Deadline for all auditions (Live and Remote) for prospective freshman music majors
March 1, 2022
- Priority Common App deadline for transfer students. Learn more about the Transfer admissions process here. MassTransfer info here
- Music Application deadline for all transfer students for Fall 2022 entry
April 15, 2022
- Final deadline for transfer student applications & credentials for Fall 2022 entry
- Deadline for all auditions and supporting materials for transfer students for Fall 2022 entry
May 1, 2022
- Enrollment deposit due for incoming freshman
May 4, 2022
- Deadline for all minor and current student auditions and supporting materials for Fall 2022 entry
June 1, 2022
- Enrollment deposit due date for transfer students
All incoming freshman music major students who are accepted into the Music Program are considered for special Department scholarships upon recommendation by the studio faculty and selection by a committee. These scholarships are separate from, and in addition to, University funding.
- Only students who audition by the February 19, 2022 deadline are eligible for consideration.
- There is no separate application for music scholarships.
- Music minors and transfer students are not normally considered for Department scholarships.
For questions about the Music Audition process or the Music Program in general, or to arrange a Department visit, please contact Nathaniel Gowen, Director of Music Admissions, at firstname.lastname@example.org, or by phone at (413) 545-6048.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst prohibits discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, age, marital status, national origin, mental or physical disability, or veteran status, in any aspect of the admission or treatment of students or in employment.
OPEN HOUSE DAYS
Although visitors are welcome at any time, prospective students and their families are highly encouraged to visit during the Music program's Open House Days! Each day has a variety of opportunities to explore, including Admissions Q&A, Department Tours, Open Studios, Classes, Rehearsals and Performances. Plus a 50% lunch discount for high school students at Franklin Dining Commons!