LAB:SYNC - Participate in Research
Home | People | gravity Newsletter | Participate in Research | Contact | Dance Science Symposium | NEA Research Lab
For a list of ongoing studies at LAB:SYNC that you may be eligible to join, read below:
Measurement of Professional Dance Training Exposures and Health Correlates in 18- to 85-year-old adults
Researchers from Laboratory for the Scientific Study of Dance (LAB:SYNC) at the University of Massachusetts Amherst are currently conducting a new study titled “Measurement of Professional Dance Training Exposures and Health Correlates in 18 to 85-year-old adults.
We are looking for 18- to 85-year-old adults who are able to walk safely on a treadmill and who would be interested in dancing solo (in their usual way) while in our laboratory. No prior dance training is required to join the study.
During the study, participants will be asked to:
- wear an activity monitor on their wrist while engaged in their daily business as usual for nine days
- make three visits to the lab at UMass Amherst (about 6 hours in total) and
- complete a small number of physical health assessments, including resting energy expenditure and an EKG
- provide saliva and fingernail samples; complete an iDXA scan
- complete questionnaires on mental health status
- walk on a treadmill
- dance in the lab
- describe their experiences of dancing in the lab
No prior dance participation of any kind is required to join the study. All study participants will receive up to $100 for their time.
Participants must be adults (ages 18- to 85-years old) who are:
- able to refrain from eating any food or drinking any beverages, except for water, for 4 to 8 hours
- able to walk safely on a treadmill
- able to engage in vigorous exercise
- nonsmokers; not pregnant; without a pacemaker or other implanted medical device
- not taking medications that may impact cardiovascular responses to exercise
- without a bone, joint, or soft tissue (muscle, tendon, ligament) problem that could be made worse by becoming more active
- without a chronic medical condition, such as a heart condition, metabolic or renal disease
To sign up for the study and learn if you are eligible, click here.
UMass Amherst IRB #2070
Lifetime Dance Exposures Questionnaire Study
Complete a brief (10 to 40-minute) online questionnaire about your dance participation throughout life. Ten (10) study participants will win a $25 Visa gift card.
- You must be an adult (18 years-old or older)
- No prior dance participation experience is required to join the study
To join the study and complete the questionnaire, click here.
UMass Amherst IRB #2495