Fall 2020 Building Protocols & Procedures
FOR ON-CAMPUS MUSIC STUDENTS, FALL 2020
This webpage provides an overview of some of the policies, procedures, and information to help guide you through this semester in the department. Please review this information thoroughly.
- Many staff will be working remotely full- or part-time, resulting in limited building staffing hours each week.
- Please know that we are still available to help you and are doing everything possible to support you this semester.
- As a first line of communication, please try to reach the person you need via email.
- In the case of an emergency, please contact Campus Police by calling 413-545-3111. The non-emergency Campus Police line is 413-545-2121.
- In the case of a facilities problem, please contact the Solutions Center at 413-545-6401
IMPORTANT: Building access will be extremely limited, and students will not be allowed to congregate apart from official department obligations.
- Please limit all socializing in the FAC, maintain social distancing rules, and follow good Covid-19 health and safety protocols.
- The building is now marked with directional arrows and designated doors for entering and exiting.
- All classrooms have a designated entry and exit door, as well as internal circulation pathways.
- All rooms have designated spacing for occupants. We must adhere to these guidelines.
Building Hours (starting Aug 24)
Building Entrance - Small ramp on North Pleasant Street
- You must enter the FAC through the small ramp, closest to the pond, on North Pleasant Street. (This is the door closest to the string and piano faculty studios).
- For access to practice rooms or other rooms downstairs, you must go down the stairs to the left, just inside this door.
- All other external doors will be locked at all times, including Bezanson Lobby.
- Do not open doors to allow entry to the building from any other point.
Building Exit - Through Bezanson Lobby only
- All students and staff are expected to clean all surfaces before and after they touch them.
- Cleaning supplies are available in all rooms (Contact Ryan Dominik, email@example.com, if supplies are low or missing.)
- Please use only designated receptacles for trash.
- These will be limited so be sure to identify their locations for your use.
- Individual rooms will not contain trash receptacles. This includes practice rooms.
- All disposable cleaning products must be thrown away in designated hallway bins or taken offsite for disposal.
- Classrooms and outdoor tent spaces will be available for limited usage.
- Use of the FAC building should be minimized this semester.
- Reservations will be limited to chamber ensembles, in-person lessons, and other activities as approved by the Chair or the Facilities Coordinator.
- Reservations are strictly prohibited for in-person meetings, study sessions, or general use.
- A link for space reservations will be posted on the Current Student Resources page. (Updated link coming soon!)
This year we are initiating a self-serve practice room reservation system through Microsoft Bookings. Reserve a practice room
This system will allow us to limit the number of people congregating in the building, guarantee room availability for those with reservations, and build in a 30-minute buffer between reservations to allow air to circulate before the next person enters.
Guidelines for reserving practice rooms:
- You will need to log in to your UMass account to make a reservation.
- Reservations may be made up to 2 weeks in advance.
- Reservations are only available during the building’s open hours.
- Be considerate of others when reserving rooms. Provide advance notice for all cancellations.
- Limit advance bookings to 2-3 hours per day. (Pianists can reserve up to 3 hours per day.) If you wish to use more than 2-3 hours per day, you must wait until 48 hours in advance to make your additional reservations.
- Please click on the info button on each reservation type for more information. Different types and lengths of reservations are available. Some rooms are reserved for specific use only. Please respect these systems.
PRACTICE ROOM PROTOCOLS & ETIQUETTE
- You MUST have a reservation to use a practice room.
- Only ONE person is allowed in a practice room at a time.
- You MUST wash your hands or use hand sanitizer before touching anything in the room.
- You MUST wear a mask at all times except when removal is necessary to play your instrument.
- You MUST wipe down the keyboard, doorknobs, bench/seat, and any other surfaces you touch.
- Any trash, including wipes, must go in designated trash receptacles. There will be no trash cans in any of the practice rooms.
- You MUST vacate the room at the end of your designated reservation time to allow for air circulation between occupants.
- Please let Ryan Dominik (firstname.lastname@example.org) know about any problems, including cleaning supply refills needed.
- Do not place any objects on the pianos.
- No food or drink allowed in the practice rooms. (A water bottle is okay).
OPEN CAMPUS BUILDINGS
Looking for On-Campus Wifi indoors?
Try these locations:
Integrative Learning Center (ILC)