Skip to main content

Graduate Certificate Requirements

The Post-Baccalaureate Music Teacher Licensure Program is administered jointly by the College of Education and University Without Walls.

The Professional Performance Certificate is intended for non-matriculated students seeking a one-year graduate performance program, administered by the Department of Music & Dance through University Without Walls.

All other Graduate Certificates are primarily offered as additional options for matriculated MM students studying other music disciplines at UMass.


  • Matriculated students must have a baccalaureate degree with a music concentration before beginning coursework. 
  • Non-matriculated students may complete up to twelve hours of academic study as an "undesignated" graduate student before being required to apply and be accepted into a specific graduate degree program.

GPA Requirement: A grade of B (3.0) or higher in each course counted toward a certificate

Application Process: There is no formal application for Certificate programs, but students must pass an audition to be accepted into an applied studio, if applicable.