We are committed to the health, safety and well-being of minors involved in programs on campus. The Protection of Minors Policy at the University of Massachusetts Amherst establishes the responsibilities of Program Directors/Staff supervising minors when on the University campus or while participating in University-sponsored activities off campus. This Policy applies to University-sponsored activities involving minors and programs for minors sponsored by non-University organizations that operate in University facilities. This policy is not applicable to the University’s on-campus child care center which has established procedures following licensing regulations set forth by the Massachusetts Department of Early Education and Care.
This Policy establishes:
- Minimum standards of conduct for interacting with minors attending Programs.
- Procedures for reporting and responding to suspicions of abuse or neglect of minors.
- Guidelines for the operation of Programs that involve minors.
- Training requirements for Program Director/Staff who oversee Programs that involve minors.
- Background screening requirements for those who interact with minors in Programs.
If you're not sure if you qualify under this policy, refer to the definitions. Learn about the responsibilities of the program director and staff. Contact us with questions.