You can explore any 3D macromolecular structure model (PDB file) in:
Protein Explorer in Chime
- Best for beginners (lots of help), yet powerful for advanced users.
- Works only in
Windows (including Intel Mac OSX with
and Mac OS9/Classic.
- Must install the free
Chime browser plugin.
- Complete control over the molecular view. Undo.
- Create MolSlides. Save/restore
FirstGlance in Jmol
- Assumes that you are familiar with the principles of protein structure,
and with finding PDB codes.
- Nothing needs to be installed (except java).
- Works in popular browsers in Windows, OSX, and linux.
- Relatively simple. Most molecular views are pre-determined.
- Supports user-defined views of non-covalent contacts.
- Older versions of Protein Explorer
- Other free molecular visualization software packages are listed at
Educational molecular visualization resources for teachers: