Commonwealth College Honors for Mathematics Majors
Are both commonwealth college honors and departmental honors offered?
Mathematics majors who are also students in Commonwealth College may pursue honors through any of the three standard tracks: Commonwealth College Honors, Commonwealth College Departmental Honors, or Commonwealth College Multidisciplinary Honors. Mathematics majors who satisfy the requirements may also enter Commonwealth College after enrolling in the University.
The Department of Mathematics and Statistics offers several honors courses at all levels. All qualified students are encouraged to consider these courses; however, only Commonwealth College students directly benefit from the honors designation.
|Calculus for the Life and Social Sciences I
|Calculus for the Life and Social Sciences II
|Capstone Course I
|Capstone Course II
|Abstract Algebra I
|Abstract Algebra II
|Introduction to Modern Analysis
|Topics in Ordinary Differential Equations
|Introduction to Partial Differential Equations
|Introduction to Statistics I
With the approval of the Honors Coordinator, students may also receive Honors credit for the following types of courses (subject to the Commonwealth College enrollment cap of 25 students):
- 600/700/800-level courses
- 500-level courses
- Honors independent study courses
Under exceptional circumstances, and with the prior approval of both the instructor and the Honors Coordinator, students may also arrange to obtain honors credit for a 400-level course by adding an Honors Colloquium.
- ENGLWRIT 112H - Honors College Writing. If College Writing is completed prior to CHC admission, a GenEd Honors course (3+ credits) can substitute
- HONORS 201H - Ideas that Changed the World (Gen Ed "I + US-DU", 4 credits)
- HONORS 391AH - Special Topics (1 credit)
- Gen Ed Honors Course (3+ credits)
- Gen Ed Honors Course (3+ credits). Students may petition to substitute a non-gen Ed Honors Course, please see a CHC advisor for details.
- One Math/Stat Honors Courses at 400-level or higher
- A second Math/Stat Honors Courses at 400-level or higher
- Math/Stat 499Y Honors Research
- Math/Stat 499T Honors Thesis (Must be taken in a different semester than Math 499Y)
Information on Latin Honors can be found at https://www.umass.edu/registrar/students/diploma-and-graduation/latin-ho...
In order to enroll in Departmental Honors, a student must submit a change of major form, signed by the Honors Coordinator, to the registrar.