Important Details To Make Mail Handling Easier
- Names on the students mailboxes need to be kept current.
- Package Log in. Please keep up to date. This will help when looking for the package.
- Packages at the RSD. Packages should not be held longer than seven days. Make sure students are properly notified of their packages. After 7 days, return USPS packages to Mail Services marked “unclaimed”. Mail Services does not support UPS or FedEx. UPS and FedEx get returned directly to them, not Mail Services.
- Slots, mail bins for outgoing mail. One for First Class stamped mail and another for misdirected mail. This is essential for the Mail Clerk who delivers and picks up the dorm mail. Campus mail does not require postage and may be placed in the 1st class slot.
- Please - no marking on the mail. Defacing the mail is a federal offense. If information needs to be passed on, you may write a note on a Post-it and rubber band that around the mail. Exception: it is recommended and acceptable to write the room number and date in the corner. This will assist with managing the 7 day rule.
- Overflow of mail. If the student’s mail slot is full, please pull the mail out of the slot and make a bundle with a rubber band; make sure the mail has the student name and dorm number clearly marked. Bring back to the RSD and log as a package, this will generate an email to the student that they must come claim this mail within 7 days or it will be returned to sender.
- Misdirected mail. USPS mail not deliverable should be placed in a tub clearly marked “misdirected” to be removed by Mail Services. Be careful not to place any unsorted mail in or near the misdirected tub. UPS and FedEx gets handed back to the respective drivers.
For Help Contact -
Stephanie Smith, Mail Services Office Manager
Frequently Asked Questions
My Delivery Confirmation says it was Transferred to Agent on Monday. It’s Tuesday and my package isn’t here! Where is it?
Delivery Confirmation is a confirmation that it was received at the local post office, not the time it is delivered to the dorm. There can be as many as three days from the date/time that is shown in tracking until the day it is sorted in your dorm.
Check to see where the message to pick up the package is from. - If it came from Mail Services then you should follow the instructions in the email. - If the email you received is from your Residential Services Desk (RSD), you must go to your designated RSD.
Your mail, whether you moved to a new dorm or off campus will be forwarded to your current address listing in SPIRE. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure their address information is correct and up to date! If they do not have a valid campus address or have graduated, the package will be forwarded to their PERM address listing in SPIRE. If there is no PERM address listing or it shows a campus address, the package will be RETURNED TO SENDER.
UPS and FedEX delivers directly to your Residential Services Desk. For more info, see: http://www.umass.edu/living/residence/rsd-mail.
Proper dorm address format can be found here.
** If your family is sending money, have them send it in the form of a U.S. Postal Money Order or Check. Never mail cash.
Each dorm has an assigned Residential Service Desk (RSD) where all of their mail goes to be received, sorted and ultimately picked up by the student. It is recommended that you contact the associated RSD prior to scheduling the arrangement delivery to be provided with the most accurate and up-to-date information to give to the vendor to ensure a swift and painless delivery to the student.
A listing of all of the Residential Service Desks, including contact information and hours, can be found here.