Bulk Mail Services provides a cost-effective service for folding and inserting letter mail as well as the application of pressure sensitive labels and direct impression labeling for large volume mailings. Environmentally friendly, high speed inkjet addressing is used for mailings that are designed according to the proper specifications. This service is available to all campus departments for campus and non-profit bulk mailings. Please contact Cynthia Kicza Direct Mail Services 413-545-2010 for design specifications, scheduling, and pricing information.
We can utilize your mailing database to do the following:
- Print the barcode and address directly on the mail piece, eliminating the need for labels
- Collaborate with Print Services to offer state of the art variable data printing
- Verify addresses against the USPS National Address Database
- Delete duplicate addresses (on request). Please specify if detection is based on name or address.
The system operates by accessing your database information and verifying it against the National Address Database. The system will flag incomplete/incorrect addresses minimizing undeliverable mail. The system also automatically adds the Zip+4 code so that a delivery point bar code will be printed on the mail piece. Along with the benefit of faster mail delivery, you will realize postage discounts.
By processing your mailing database through Mail Services, you can reduce postage costs and receive faster delivery of your mailing.
Other things you need to know:
- The University's permit imprint (indicia) must be preprinted in the upper right corner of your mail piece. Download an indicia in PDF format
- Mail pieces should be designed to be less than 6 1/8"; H x 11 1/2"; W so they qualify for the letter rate. Larger pieces are considered flats and are charged a higher postage rate.
This imprint is not for first class or single piece mail.
To mail single pieces bearing this imprint you must cover the imprint with a white label before mailing so that meter postage can be applied!
Frequently Asked Questions
The maximum weight per piece for special Non Profit rate is 16 ounces. To send mailings at the non-profit rate, the following criteria must be met:
- Material must meet eligibility requirements for the non-profit rate! Please contact Mail Services before you have your material printed.
- Mailing must have a minimum of 200 pieces or 50 pounds, which are identical in size, weight, and contents.
- University of Massachusetts Amherst return address must appear in the upper left corner.
- If pre-addressed, all pieces must be in zip code order.
- Campus, five-college or foreign pieces should not be mixed in the mailing.
- Content restriction include financial advertising ( credit cards etc), travel and insurance is prohibited. Other advertising must be "substantially related" to the mission of the University. This can be difficult to interpret, please call Mail Services for assistance.
Mail Piece Specifications are:
- Size requirements: 3" x 5" to 13" x 15-1/2"
- Thickness: no more than 1.25" thick
- Weigh less than 16 oz.
- Matte or Dull paper finish. If glossy or coated paper is used, the address block must be masked (in print terminology, this is called a knockout)
The data base must be saved in one of the following formats:
- ASCII Comma Delimited
- ASCII Tab Delimited
- Other formats if prearranged
-Field names must be identified with headers.
-If multiple files are being used, the format and fields must be identical and common amongst all files submitted.
-Campus mail, five-college and international records must be in unique columns. Example of proper Database Design is available here as a printable 4K PDF document.