M2M Funding Vehicles
Up to $10,000 for single or multi-PIs for early stage translational projects.
Maximum request $6,000 in Materials and Supplies, and $4,000 in IALS Core Facilities fees; minimum amount to be awarded by this mechanism: $2,000. Typical requests are expected to be $6-8000 in total funds.
All active faculty members of IALS may apply for funds. Active membership constitutes the following:
- Active participation in a Research Theme associated with the Center for Bioactive Delivery, Models to Medicine Center, and/or the Center for Personalized Health Monitoring.
- Current IALS-tagged awards/proposals submitted in the last twelve months.
Endorsement is required by a Theme Leader of the center of which you currently hold membership. Current list of M2M Theme Leaders.
The IALS midigrant is designed to be a flexible seed fund mechanism to enable new translational research and explore new collaborations within IALS. Applications eligible for funding include:
- New or previously unfunded multi-PI collaborations towards a specific extramural grant opportunity (with deadline identified in the application)
- Single or multi-PI translational projects enabling new start-up ventures, SBIR/STTR submissions, submission to an extramural translational funding call, and/or a collaboration with an industry partner. Translational potential for projects may be short- or long-term.
Criteria for Awarding Funds
The overarching criteria for awarding funds are:
- How well the project nucleates new collaborations, and how this seed money will enhance the PIs’ chances to gain new extramural funding.
- A clear delineation of how the proposed funds will be used to generate specific preliminary data, and how that data will improve the chances of extramural funding will be reviewed favorably.
- A clear explanation of translational milestones and outcomes, short-term or long-term.
- How well the project strengthens a connection with industry, fosters a new start-up venture, or enables a translational grant submission.
- How well the project fits into the long-term goals of the research theme, the center, and/or IALS. How does your proposal enable the center’s goals and missions?
Deadlines, Award Disbursal and Stipulations
Midigrants are due on the 15th of every month on a rolling basis. Submitted applications are reviewed by the Center Steering Committees. Applications may be approved, conditionally approved, or returned for further questions – resubmission is highly encouraged.
Upon application approval, the approved amount will be distributed to the PI for generating preliminary data. PIs are then welcome to start using IALS core facilities as requested using the speedtype/account given to you by IALS. If PIs submit the grant application by the proposed date, these charges will be wiped clean by IALS (up to the initial requested amount). If PIsfail to submit the grant by the proposed date, however, the Core Facility charges must be paid back. Funding requested for Materials and Supplies are unaffected.
Report on Use of Funds
PIs will be expected to report on project outcomes, and extramural funding decision, when known, and plans for resubmission, if applicable. No additional requests can be submitted unless final reports for any past funding are submitted.
To apply, please submit applications to Hannah Choi, IALS Center Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download Application (fillable PDF)
Other Resources Available to M2M Faculty
M2M Fund Use by Research Theme
Each Research Theme Leader is given a discretionary budget of $1,000 per year to support activities that further the strategic goals of Research Themes such as hosting visits by potential industrial partners, co-hosting seminar speakers, travel of Research Theme members to sites of clinical or industrial collaborators (or vice versa), or facilitating internal meetings of Research Themes or across Research Themes. If you are planning on hosting an event for your theme, contact your Theme Leader directly on how you may access these funds.
Core Director Discretionary Fund
Currently available for Mass Spectrometry, Biophysical Characterization, and Light Microscopy. These are resources allocated to a Core Facility, administered solely by the Director of each facility to fund new users on facility instruments. The purpose of these funds are to reduce the barrier to doing new science with the incredible core instrumentation we have on campus. Essentially, if you are an active M2M faculty member and you want to do some new pilot experiments for your projects, the core directors have discretionary funds provided through M2M to help you do these experiments. This is a limited nonrenewable program, so please talk with the directors as soon as possible about possible projects and experiments. If successful and funding is available, we will continue these Incentive funds with other cores in the future.
Core Credit Voucher Program
Core Credit Vouchers are available to all IALS grant recipients and usable at any UMass Amherst Centralized Core Facility. These credits are accrued and assigned twice a year, and are calculated from the IDC/RTF contributions to the Center/IALS from IALS-tagged grants. You do not have to request these vouchers, they will be assigned. As grant dollars are spent, Core Facility credits are accrued! For more information on how to use these funds, please contact Hannah Choi (email@example.com).