309 Herter Hall
BA, Italian and Spanish, Florida State University
MA, Italian Studies, University of Virginia
PhD, Italian Studies, Brown University
- Associate Chair of the Department of Languages, Literatures and Cultures
- Participant in UMass' Medieval Studies Certificate Program
Selected Internet Projects
- The Decameron Web, with M. Riva
- Pico Project | Progetto Pico, with M. Riva, and its companion site, Conclusiones CM publice disputandae
- The Virtual Humanities Lab, with M. Riva
- medieval and early Renaissance studies
- the Italian novella
- teaching and study of literature in the hypertext environment
- Italian historical and descriptive linguistics
- language teaching in a communicative context
- Editor-in-Chief of Heliotropia, a Forum for Boccaccio Research and Interpretation (and official publication of the American Boccaccio Association). ISSN: 1542-3352.
- Editor of Heliotropia 700/10. A Boccaccio Anniversary Volume. Milano: LED, 2013.
- Editor and translator, with F. Borghesi and M. Riva, of Pico della Mirandola's "Oration on the Dignity of Man." A New Translation and Commentary. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 2012.
- Editor, with E. Filosa, of Boccaccio in America. Proceedings of the 2010 International Boccaccio Conference at The University of Massachusetts Amherst. Ravenna: Longo, 2012.
- Boccaccio's Expositions on Dante's Comedy. Toronto: U. of Toronto Press, 2009. (Rev. in: Textual Cultures 5.1 : 142-46; The Medieval Review[June 2010]; Medium Aevum 79.2  372; Speculum 86.4  1052-53; Studi sul Boccaccio 39  412-16.)
- Concordance to the Decameron (2001).
- Keen and Violent Remedies: Social Satire and the Grotesque in Masuccio Salernitano's Novellino. New York: Peter Lang, 2000. (Rev. in: Italica 78.2 : 259-60; Fifteenth-Century Studies 28 : 268-69; Rivista di studi italiani 20.2 : 269-72; Speculum 79.2 : 541-42; Modern Language Review 99.1 : 214-15.)