Applications for Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 are now closed!
More information about the applications for Fall 2024 will be available in Fall 2023.
Interested in becoming a Resident Assistant or Peer Mentor?
Application Information | EDUC 391R | Minimum Eligibility Requirements | Timeline | Interview Information
Why be a Resident Assistant?
- Create inclusive communities where all students feel value and heard
- Demonstrate leadership skills
- Engage in conversations with students about their experiences
- Promote safe and responsible communities in the Residence Halls
Click here for more information about the RA position!
Why be a Peer Mentor?
- Assist first-year students' transition to UMass Amherst
- Plan events that support student's wellbeing and resiliency
- Work together as a team in the Residential Academic Success Centers (RASCs) to support students' needs in the halls after hours
Click here for more information about the PM position!
Questions About the Positions?
- Check out our Frequently Asked Questions Document
Application Deadline and Requirements
Applications for both Resident Assistant and Peer Mentor positions for 2023-2024 are now closed.
Your complete application must be submitted by Monday, November 21st at 11:59pm. A complete application will include:
- Essay questions
- ***Reference Letter
Only electronic submissions will be accepted. No submissions will be accepted after Monday, November 21st at 11:59pm
***Please note that the person you ask to provide your reference will not be able to submit it until you complete your application. That person will receive an email with a link to use to provide their reference in umass.erezlife.com once you click “submit.” We recommend that you complete your application as soon as possible did give your reference as much time as possible. Deadline for references is November 28th. However, if you do not receive a reference it will not disproportionally affect your candidacy.
All eligible candidates must have successfully completed EDUC391R: CORE prior to when they start their role.
Candidates interested in applying for 2023-2024 application will be able to take the course in Spring 2023. You do not need to register for the course at this time. Applicants who advance through the interview portion of the application process will be enrolled by Residential Life.
EDUC 391R: CORE - Residential Education and Community Development
EDUC 391R: CORE - (Residential Education and Community Development) is a one-credit, pre-employment requirement of all RA and PM candidates.
- As it is a pre-employment requirement, CORE cannot be taken co-currently while being an RA or PM.
- If you have previously completed this course you do not need to re-enroll when submitting a new RA or PM application.
- Enrollment for EDUC 391R is reserved for students offered a Resident Assistant (RA) or Peer Mentor (PM) position or placed on the RA/PM alternate list. Therefore, the enrollment process for EDUC 391R will not begin until after the RA/PM interview process has concluded and decision letters have been sent to all candidates. RA/PM candidates will be informed of their status on February 10th. Students who are offered an accept an RA/PM placement or alternate status will receive further instructions for submitting their Spring 2023 availability to be manually enrolled in EDUC 391R after February 10th.
Minimum Eligibility Requirements
- All RAs and PMs must be current full-time UMass undergraduate students.
- RAs must maintain above a 2.5 cumulative GPA; PMs must maintain a 2.75 cumulative GPA. PMs selected to live in the Commonwealth Honors College Residential Community (CHCRC) are required to have a 3.4 at the time of application and commencement of the Peer Mentor position as well as be a member of the Commonwealth Honors College.
- All RAs and PMs must be free of active conduct sanctions at least two weeks prior to the commencement of August training.
- All RAs and PMs must successfully complete (pass) EDUC391R: Community of Residence Educators (CORE) 1-Credit Course prior to starting the position. (see section above for clarification and expectations)
- RAs and PMs must have lived in a residence hall at the University of Massachusetts Amherst for at least one full semester at the time of hire. In addition, Resident Assistants must be eligible to reside in a residence hall at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.
FOR 2023-2024 VACANCIES
December 23rd: Candidates are informed of their status; Interviews are scheduled by January 4th
Week of January 9th and 16th: Interviews held via Zoom
February 10th: Candidates informed of their status
Week of March 20th: Students who accept RA/PM position or RA/PM Alternate List offer begin CORE:EDUC 391R
August 20th, 2023: Anticipated start date for 2023-2024 RA/PM position.
Please note: The timeline of offers may change slightly based on needs of the university. All candidates will be informed of any changes.
- As interviews are occurring during the winter break, ALL interviews will be held via zoom.
- Interviews occur January 10th, 11th, 12th, 17th, 18th, and 19th from 9am-5pm EST
- Interviews last approximately 30 minutes
- If invited to interview, you can sign up for an interview slot by visiting umass.erezlife.com by January 4th
- Find a private and quiet place to be during the interview
- Arrive to the zoom room 5-10 minutes early and test out your audio
- Review the RA position description and/or PM position description in advance, consider ways to connect your experiences with expectations of the job
- Most of the questions ask candidates to reflect on their experiences, be sure to give examples that demonstrate what makes you qualified for the role
- Prepare any questions you have in advance, there will be a few moments at the end to ask them
- Visit the UMass Career Services website for more support with preparing for your interview
Please contact email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. Contact our main office at 413-545-3362.