All packages addressed to your residence hall are delivered to your Residential Service Desk (RSD). Below are some helpful tips when ordering packages to be sent to your residential address.
How to Address Your Mail
Name of Your Residence Hall, UMass
Residence Hall Street Address, Room #
Amherst, MA 01003- (4-digit extended ZIP)
For the correct street address and zip code of your residence hall, go to Residence Directory.
Package Delivery for Spring 2021
In order to reduce foot traffic and high wait times at the RSD, we must significantly reduce the number of packages students receive at the RSD. Last year, prior to closing in March, RSDs distributed nearly a quarter of a million packages. Due to the necessary reduction in staffing, RSDs will not be able to process the same high volume of packages this year.
In light of this, there are new mail and package guidelines for Spring 2021:
- Students will be asked to limit packages sent to campus to one item per week.
- Students should order any necessary items prior to the start of the semester and ship them to their permanent address.
- All textbooks ordered after the semester starts, it should be shipped to an E-campus pick up point in the Campus Center or Hampden.
- Medications should be brought from home or ordered through the University Health Services Pharmacy.
- Hand sanitizer, disinfecting wipes, masks, and other items needed for their Go-Kit should also be brought with them or procured from a local retailer once they arrive in Amherst.
- Furniture, large rugs, or other large non-essential items should not be brought to campus this fall to ensure the ability to vacate quickly if necessary. Staff will not be able to accept these items at the RSD.
We recognize many students will be impacted by these necessary limitations. As an alternatives to frequent deliveries to the RSD:
- Consider having items delivered to an alternate address (their permanent address, an off campus address, or even an Amherst Post Office Box) where they can pick them up at their convenience.
- Utilize services that deliver directly to the student, such as local food delivery or services where items from local retailers are delivered directly to the student, like InstaCart.
- Choose to mainly use a single on-line retailer where they “add to cart” as needed but only “proceed to checkout” every week. Whenever possible, select the option to receive a single shipment with all items in your cart.
When to Pick Up You Package
Wait until you receive an email from your RSD letting you know you have a ackage before going to pick it up. Notifications from third parties that a package has arrived does not mean it is at your RSD ready to be picked up. If a package is unclaimed for seven days it will be returned to sender.
Order textbooks and other course materials with eCampus@UMass via SPIRE. Have these delivered to your home address to avoid the risk of delays at the RSD. Please note that campus pickup locations are not in service during spring 2021 semester due to COVID-19.
Often required for attendance purposes, iClickers are usually needed for the first class. Have these delivered to your home address to avoid the risk of it arriving late.
Whenever possible avoid sending medication to your on-campus address. Utilize a local pharmacy such as University Health Services to avoid waiting for shipping. If you must have medication delivered to your on campus address, we recommend ordering for multiple months and ordering your refill well before you run out.
Avoid having packages from online shopping delivered during the first few weeks of the semester to limit delays for time sensitive packages.
Updating Your Address
Be sure to update your mailing address during break periods if you don't live in a break housing hall. Mail delivered when halls are closed are typically returned to sender.