Download your My UMass app
for all things Move-In!
Make a Move-In Reservation
All students whose Move-In day is Friday, September 2 must make a Move-In Reservation in SPIRE in order to determine the specific time of their Move-In and print their boarding pass.
Complete Your Move-In Checklist
Don't forget to complete your Move-In Checklist prior to Move-In.
Directions to Campus
The route we have provided accounts for traffic pattern changes and specific check in locations for Move-In day. Please do not use directions provided by a GPS, Google maps, Siri, or the like to get to campus.
- East Check In: for residents in the Central, Northeast, North, Orchard Hill, and Sylvan Residential Areas
- West Check In: for residents in the Southwest Residential Area and Commonwealth Honors College Residential Community
When You Arrive at Check-In
- When you arrive at your check-in station you will present your printed Boarding Pass along with your UCard or photo ID. In return, you will receive your room key and a window placard that grants you access to your residence hall for unloading (additional cars will receive a placard that does not grant them access to the hall, but will help direct them to parking). Students who forget to bring their Boarding Pass will be directed out of line to complete a manual check-in. Forgetting your Boarding Pass will add an estimated 30 minutes to your overall move-in time.
- After receiving your room key, cars will be guided to a traffic queue where you will wait to be called up to your residence hall. Only one car per student will be allowed access to the hall. Additional vehicles will be directed to a designated parking lot for your residential area.
- At the designated unloading areas for each hall, Minute Mover volunteers or USS staff will assist with moving belongings into the room. Cars must be moved immediately after unloading.
Driving from Check-In to Your Residence Hall
To keep traffic moving throughout campus, customized driving directions are provided to get you from Check-In to your residence hall. Directions are available in the My UMass app or on the web version of the app at my.umass.edu.
After your vehicle is unloaded by Minute Movers or USS*, move it immediately to a designated parking lot so other students can unload. The driver should be prepared to walk from the parking lot back to the residence hall. If you are in CHC or Southwest everyone in your vehicle should be prepared to walk back from the parking lot to your hall. You may park in the lot for up to 4 hours.
*USS is the professional moving company that will unload belongings for residents in CHCRC, SW towers, and Sylvan.
Please note: Parking is limited ONLY to the lot where you are directed to park. Parking in any other lot may result in a ticket, or your vehicle being towed.
Are you in need of mobility assistance? A shuttle will be available to transport anyone in need of mobility assistance from the parking lot to the residence hall.
Not Driving to Campus?
If you are planning to arrive via bus, airplane or train you will have access to a shuttle to bring you through the Check-In Station and to your residence hall. The Check-In Shuttle will run continuously throughout the day from the bus stop at the Randolph W. Bromery Center for the Arts. Don't pay a taxi to wait in line at Check-In! Ask to be dropped off at the Randolph W. Bromery Center for the Arts (Haigis Mall) and use our free shuttle.
What if I can't arrive during Move-In?
Students who are unable to arrive during available Move-In Reservation times should contact Residential Services. If you plan to arrive after 5:00pm on Tuesday, September 6, contact Residential Services to request a Late Arrival. If you do not request a late arrival, your assignment may be canceled as a “no-show” and you will be subject to the Contract Cancellation Fee schedule.