Guest numbers are monitored throughout the academic year. If circumstances impacting safety and security dictate, the guest policy is temporarily adjusted to ensure our campus remains a healthy, safe, and secure environment. These temporary changes to the guest policy are in accordance with Residential Life (Housing) policy, as it relates to special circumstances involving concern for safety and security.
The guest policy will be adjusted on the following weekends:
- Beginning Friday, October 20 at 4 p.m. and continuing through Sunday, October 22 at 8 a.m., each resident is allowed a total of four (4) guests, two (2) of which may be non-UMass visitors.
- Beginning Friday, October 27 at 4 p.m. and continuing through Sunday, October 29, at 8 a.m., the same policy change will be in effect: each resident may host up to four (4) guests, but only two (2) may be non-UMass visitors.
- Beginning Sunday, February 4 at noon and continuing through Monday, February 5 at 8 a.m., each resident will be allowed to sign in a total of four (4) guests who reside in the same residential area.
- Beginning Thursday, March 1 at 8 p.m. and continuing through Sunday, March 4 at 11 p.m., each resident will be allowed to sign in a total of four (4) UMass Amherst students as guests. Only UMass students, faculty, and staff will be allowed in UMass residence halls.
In support of these temporary policy changes, residence hall security desk hours will be expanded in residence halls over the course of these two weekends. All other guest policy requirements will remain in effect.
You are encouraged to:
- Sign out your guests when they leave your residence hall. Doing so will allow you to host another guest.
- Advise your guests to have a photo ID with them. This will expedite the process.
If deemed necessary to ensure safety, additional adjustments may be put in place. These adjustments include reserving the right to curtail or end guest registration by building or residential area.
Please note that “guests” are defined as any person who is not a resident of the hall. Guests must be accompanied by the host resident at all times. Residents are responsible for the behavior of their guests and may be held accountable for their actions. A link to community standards is found here.
We want the above weekends to be festive, welcoming, and safe for all students, alumni, family, and friends.