Freshmen who are enrolled as full-time (12 credits) are required to live on campus and are automatically billed for room and board.
Update for fall 2020: Freshmen are not required to live on campus for fall 2020 and will not be billed for room and board if they did not apply for housing.
Any student who does not fall under the category of being required is not guaranteed housing. If a student is not required but lives on campus, they will be able to retain housing provided that they follow the on-time deadlines for reserving an assignment for the upcoming semester.
You are exempt from the residency requirement if you are:
• A sophomore, junior, senior or graduate student
• A married, divorced, or separated student who has provided documentation to Residential Life
• A parent of dependent children who has provided documentation to Residential Life
• A veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces who has submitted a DD214 form to Residential Life
• A commuting student living with your parent(s) or court-appointed guardian(s) within a 40-mile radius of the Amherst campus who has submitted a Commuter Form to Residential Life