Starting Salary: $13.00
Work Schedule: 15 hours per week minimum in semester, 40 hrs/week over wintersession/summer
Hours: Mon – Fri 8:30am – 5:00pm
Applications Due: not currently accepting applications
The Special Assistant position works under the direct supervision of the Assignment and Billing Manager for Residential Life Student Services. This position provides administrative support for occupancy management, data reporting and student services self-service applications. Areas of responsibility include but are not limited to auditing, communication, data management, occupancy management, benchmarking and reporting. The Special Assistant supports customer service throughout the academic year and break periods to assist with questions and projects related to ADA/medical accommodations, assistance animal registration, preference application submission, and roommate matching,
This position requires a full academic year commitment beginning as soon as possible through closing May 2018.
Primary responsibilities include:
Assistance Animal Registration
ADA/Medical Accommodation Process
Other projects/duties as assigned
You must be a currently enrolled undergraduate student at UMass Amherst in good standing.
You must be able to work 40 hours/week over the summer.
You must be able to work a minimum 15 hours/week during semesters.
You must be mature, self-motivated, and possess a positive attitude.
You must be detailed oriented with strong communication and organizational skills.
You must be able to work for all Residence Hall opening and closing periods 12/21-12/22, 1/21, 3/9, 5-10-5/11.
This position is subject to a criminal background check.
Prior experience working within Residential Life.
Possess a working knowledge of Residential Life policies and practices.
Demonstrated experience in an office setting with knowledge of professional etiquette.
Be a creative lateral thinker with excellent problem solving skills.
Knowledge of working with Microsoft Office.
Strong commitment to working on a team/in a group setting.
Eligibility for Work Study for the 2017-2018 Academic Year
You will need to submit the following to complete the online Application located at the link provided above:
1. A one-page typed resume which includes your current contact information, your education, work experiences and extracurricular activities.
2. Answers to the following questions:
- How has your previous work experience prepared you for the Special Projects Assistant position?
- What has been your previous experience working in a professional setting and what skills do you possess that are transferrable to the Special Projects Assistant position?
- Describe the skills that you possess for managing administrative processes.
- Describe a time that you received feedback in a previous position and how you incorporated that feedback into your work skills.
3. One person who can submit a letter of recommendation who can evaluate (1) your customer service skills, (2) your ability to work in a professional office
4. Two additional references that can evaluate your work performance in a previous position.
Applications will be evaluated based on your previous work experience and your ability to demonstrate how it transfers to the Special Projects Assistant position, the detailed content of your answers, and your letter of recommendation.