Where is Residential Life Human Resources (RLHR) located?

Residential Life Human Resources is located in Berkshire House on the 3rd floor. Our mailing address is:
121 County Circle
Berkshire House
UMass Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003

I need to take some time off from work. What is the procedure?

All leaves require approval from your supervisor. The first step would be to request a leave in writing from your supervisor including the dates of the leave, reason for the leave and how you wish to be paid during the leave period (sick, vacation, personal or unpaid). If the leave is covered under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), RLHR will provide you with the appropriate paperwork and coordinate the leave with your supervisor.

Where can I find forms related to Human Resources issues?

RLHR will be able to assist you with forms regarding FMLA, Request for Leave, and Voluntary Transfer/Shift Change. Additional forms may be found on the Human Resources website.

What is the Wellness Conference?

The Wellness Conference is offered annually during the UMass Amherst spring break week in March. Staff can select from a variety of activities that focus on physical, mental, family, financial well-being, etc. This event is free for all Residential Life benefited and graduate student employees. Employees work with their supervisors to receive release time.

How do I know if I’ve met my training requirements?

- View the Residential Life required training program for benefited and graduate student staff. (Add link or reference back to T&D page)
- Contact Valerie Ortiz to view your record or your supervisees’ records.
- To see your Workplace Learning & Development (WLD) record specifically, view your Training Summary in HR Direct. (To access login to the HR Direct system, click on “Main Menu," and navigate to “Self Service” selection. Under “Self Service” you’ll find the “Learning and Development” section, which contains a link to your Training Summary.)

I need to reserve a room and/or order catering, what do I do?

In order to reserve a room or order catering, you should contact Valerie Ortiz. Valerie will submit these requests and coordinate the reservation process for you. Before contacting Valerie, please make sure you have the following information:

- Name of event
- Date and time of event starts and ends
- Max number of attendees
- What space/room you are requesting
- Set up of room
- What food you will be requesting and the quantity of each food item
- Speedtype it will be charged to (this is required even if the reservation will not cost anything)
- Set up of room
- A number to contact you at during the event

How do I reserve the 3rd floor conference room?

Please contact Valerie Ortiz with your request.

How do I get access to the Residential Life Professional Development calendar? What will I find on it? How do I add something?

If you do not currently have access to this calendar in Outlook, please contact Valerie Ortiz and she will share it with you. Once you gain access, the calendar will appear in your list of Outlook calendars. The calendar provides general information about upcoming conference and events held by our affiliated organizations. Please speak with your supervisor about participating in these opportunities.

I’m chairing or record-keeping a search and need guidance (e.g. process, best practices, EOD expectations).

Contact Colby Gray to receive a copy of Residential Life’s training expectations and materials and/or to schedule a meeting.

What do I do if I need to report an incident or staff issue in the workplace?

All workplace incidents should be reported to a staff member's direct supervisor. Some examples of reportable incidents include a staff member being involved in or witnessing workplace conflict, bullying, harassment, stalking, violence, neglect or abuse, bias incidents, theft, or property destruction. The reporting staff member should fill out an incident report and submit it to their direct supervisor. If the staff member's direct supervisor is involved in the incident, the incident report should be submitted to Danny O'Brien in Residential Life Human Resources (Berkshire House 325).

Staff have many resources to support them if they are involved in or witness a workplace incident. Important resources include direct supervisors, Residential Life Human Resources, UMass Human Resources, the Ombuds Office, Faculty and Staff Assistance Program (FSAP), and ComPsych. Additional information and resources may also be found on the UMatter at UMass website.