The University of Massachusetts Amherst
HFA - College of Humanities & Fine Arts view HFA submenu

International Visitors

Information for International Students and Scholars

The International Programs Office of the University can assist those of you who are international students with many questions regarding your move to the United States. They can help you decide what visa is the best option for you (J or F), and they can inform you about the visa application procedure--what documents to have ready as well as what to say and what not to say at a visa interview. They can answer questions about visas for your family. If you have children they will be able to answer all your questions about your children's rights to attend schools. They can also put you in e-mail contact with other students from your native country.

Visiting scholars who plan to spend more than three months in the United States should apply for a J visa. Shorter visits can be accomodated on a tourist visa or visa waiver.

Questions about becoming a visiting scholar, including questions about the J-1 visa application process, can be directed to the Narda Wakoluk, the Office Manager.