Jack Ahern, FASLA
Professor Emeritus of Landscape Architecture
LANDARCH/REGIONPL 582 - Landscape and Green Urbanism
LANDARCH 609 - MLA 3rd year Studio
LANDARCH 297D - Sophomore Design Studio
SUSTCOMM 335 - Plants in the Landscape
Professor Jack Ahern was awarded the Fabos medal for his international leadership in the areas of landscape and greenway planning. 2016
His keynote address was entitled, "Novel Urban Ecosystems: New Nature(s) for the Century of the City.
Jack Ahern makes list of 25 hottest articles in Landscape and Urban Planning.
Jack Ahern's article "The concept of ecosystem services in adaptive urban planning and design: A framework for supporting innovation" reaches # 6 (and climbing) on the top 25 hottest articles in Landscape and Urban Planning (April to June 2014). You can see the article at Volume 125, May 2014, Pages 254-259, by Ahern, J.; Cilliers, S.; and Niemela, J.
- 2017. Randhir, Timothy O.; Wright, Emily; Ahern, Jack. Modeling Suburban Phosphorous and BMP’s: Downscaling from Watershed Systems to Site-Specific Scales. J. Sustainable Water Built Environment. 3(4).
- 2016. Su, Wei-Cha; Ahern, Jack F.; Chang, Chun-Yen. “Why should we pay attention to “inconsistent” land uses? A viewpoint on water quality. Landscape and Ecological Engineering, 03:0293-7.
- 2016. Ahern, Jack. Novel Urban Ecosystems: concepts, definitions, and a strategy to support urban sustainability and resilience. Landscape Architecture Frontiers. 4:1, 10-21. February.
- 2019. “Novel Urban Ecosystems: new natures for the Anthropocene”, SaveATree Conference, Chicago Botanical Garden, Feb 12, 2019.
- 2018. ASLA National Conference Presentation, Philadelphia, Oct 2018, Cosmopolitan Flora (panel with Claudia West and David Seiter).
- 2018. “Green Infrastructure as Designed Experiments: Retrospect and Prospect”, invited lecture, Univ of CT, Landscape Architecture Program, Stors Ct, Nov 2 2018
- 2018. Green Infrastructure: retrospect and prospect”, National Conference on Science and the Environment, Washington, DC, January.
- 2017. Invited lecture. “Novel urban ecosystems, green infrastructure and ecosystem services – strategies to build urban resilience. Beijing College of Engineering and Architecture, May.
- 2017. Invited lecture. “Novel Urban Ecosystems: new nature(s) for the Century of the City”, University College Dublin, January.