During Week 2 of Juniper, participants will complete a writing project with the guidance of their instructor. All Intensive participants have completed Week 1 of Juniper, and may be working with a different instructor for their Intensive writing project. Participants can choose from the following projects to complete during the Intensive week:
- Novel Outline: By the end of the week participants will have an outline for their novel, and an introduction to the publishing process for novels
- Novel First Chapter: By the end of the week participants will have a fleshed out and compelling first chapter written, and an introduction to the publishing process for novels
- Five Flash Fictions: Every day participants will write one flash-fiction short story, and learn about the process for submitting short stories to literary magazines for publication
- Five Poems: Every day participants will write one poem, and learn about the process for submitting poems to literary magazines for publication
- Multimedia Project: By the end of the week participants will complete a multimedia writing project of their choice, which could be a scene of a screenplay, a poetry comic or comic book chapter, song lyrics, spoken word, or any other genre-bending piece, and learn about ways to share or publish their work.
The Intensive week consists of self-guided writing time with a framework and mentorship from instructors and small groups of 3-5 peers. The goal of the Intensive is to guide young writers in developing their own writing schedule and routine as they work towards completing their project. The Intensive will assist young writers in developing strong writing habits and individualized practices so that they can continue to pursue their unique goals beyond JYWO. By the end of the week, participants will have a completed writing project to share in their small-group and all-group readings on Friday.
The Intensive week includes:
- Three one-on-one meetings with instructor
- Five small-group morning check-ins
- Dedicated time for completing a writing project, with self-guided and mentor-led writing time
- End of session small-group reading
- Path to publication advice
- All-group reading on Friday