Welcome to advising in the Journalism Department!
Your advisors are here to help guide and encourage you to make the most of your time here at UMass. You have so many options as a journalism student on this campus, and our job is to help you find them.
We encourage you to meet with your advisor at least once a semester to make sure you’re on the right track. Here is a sample of what your advisors can help you with:
- Course registration and choosing classes based on your interests and requirements
- Navigating SPIRE and going over what you still need for Gen Eds and college requirements
- How to get involved in campus media
- Any problems you might be experiencing that impact your coursework (stress, mental health, illness)
- Referrals to various resources on campus
- Brainstorm interests for your required minor and/or secondary majors
We encourage our students to do internships to gain field experience. Your first stop for internships is with Senior Lecturer B.J. Roche, who also serves as the internship coordinator for our department. You can search for internships on the Handshake platform (available to all UMass students).
Abby advises with students with last names starting A-K, and Beth advises students with L-Z. Please note: Abby is on maternity leave until mid-November, so her students can schedule an appointment with Beth until she returns. Get to know us on our profiles and make an appointment via this link.
We meet with prospective Journalism students, too. If you’re in high school and thinking about majoring in journalism, visit this page for more info and to set up a tour.