The Journalism Department is located in the Integrative Learning Center, one of the newest buildings on the UMass campus. We have within our departmental space:
- Four classrooms that we primarily use for our small multimedia and seminar courses, including smart classrooms that support multi-modal learning and labs with state-of-the-art computer systems and access to professional media production software.
- An advanced television broadcast studio with three professional series cameras, industry-standard news production systems and state-of-the-art computer systems for editing video.
- An accompanying broadcast studio control room that features multiple displays, up to 32 video soures, a professional video production switcher and a professional audio mixer with 48 audio inputs.
- Multiple soundproof editing suites with state-of-the-art computer systems, professional microphones and access to professional media production software.
- A Hub area with ample seating to allow students to gather, socialize and attend the many events and speakers we host year-round.
Our department also makes a variety of equipment available to students to support their media production courses. These include professional-grade video cameras, audio recorders, cameras and camera lenses. We encourage students to purchase their own laptop prior to commencing their studies, but short-term and long-term laptop rentals may be available through UMass Libraries. Students are also eligible for educational discounts from the UMass Store.