732 Herter Hall
Susan Shapiro specializes in Jewish philosophy and philosophy of religion, gender studies, and political and cultural theory.
Her published articles and reviews have appeared in the following journals:
Journal of the American Academy of Religion, Semeia: A Journal of Biblical Interpretation, Bamidbar: A Journal of Jewish Thought and Philosophy, Judaism, The German Quarterly, and Journal of the Philosophy of Religion.
She holds an adjunct appointment in the German Program in the Department of Languages, Literatures & Cultures.
Awards and Accolades
- Senior Fellow, Martin Marty Center for the Advanced Study of Religion at the University of Chicago
- Visiting Scholar and Fellow, Hadassah-Brandeis Institute for the Study of Gender
- Masters Visiting Professor, Pontifical Gregorian Institute in Rome, Italy
- Fellow in Women and Religion, Harvard University Divinity School
- Yad Ha-Nadiv Berecha, Hebrew University, Jerusalem
- American Council of Learned Societies
- Posen Foundation Grant in Jewish Secular Culture
- Strom Foundation Grant, University of Washington, Seattle, WA
Courses Recently Taught
Judaic Studies 101: The Jewish People I, Biblical to Medieval Period;
Judaic Studies 363: Negotiating Religion and State
Judaic Studies 383: Women, Gender and Judaism
Judaic Studies 376: Post-Holocaust Thought