Major in Middle Eastern Studies
Middle Eastern Studies at UMass is an innovative, interdisciplinary major. The major consists of a wide range of introductory and upper-level courses in Arabic language, the history and archeology of the Middle East and North Africa, and offerings in Islamic culture, art, law, and political theory.
- HISTORY 130 and 131 (or approved 100-level Middle Eastern Studies courses)
- Two years of a language of the region, normally fulfilled by two-year Modern Standard Arabic classroom sequence at UMass (101, 102, 201 and 202 OR 126, 146, 226 and 246)
- 24 credits in Middle Eastern Studies courses (at or above the 200 level) chosen from an approved list of courses offered by the Five College consortium. See Middle Eastern Studies Courses
- Junior Year Writing requirement
- Integrative Experience seminar
- The major in Middle Eastern Studies requires at least a C grade in courses taken towards the major.
- No course with a Pass grade can be accepted for major credit.
- Departmental Honors require an Honors project undertaken during a student’s final year.