Traci Hess, Jon Olsen, David Todd, Steve Brewer, Jerry Schoen, Patricia Galvis-Assmus, Graham Gal, Nikki Stoia, Janine Solberg, Rick Adrion, TreAndrea Russworm (English) and Dennis Spencer
Current Events Recap
Meeting with new CIO Julie Buehler, Deans, Heads and Chairs meetings
- IT Minor, Incorporating CCC, IT Across the Discipline getting support from Deans and Heads, and ICT Summit 2014 re-evaluating IT and the campus
- Overall Response- Successful
- Julie Buehler- wants to be at the ICT Summit 2014 and support it-Provide a more modular, comprehensive CCC in order to have every OIT employee take CCC
- Only one course supported at this time (ART 271 Intro to Computers in the Fine Arts)
- Redirect funds towards IT Across the Curriculum
- Drupal Camp- incorporated event, mentoring program, Drupal meet-ups, and Brewer/Kelly Albrecht heading
- Four day event, Friday-boot camp, Saturday(talks), Sunday-code sprint, Monday-ICT Summit?
- Theme: diversity-gender equity, racial, etc.
- Date/Location: Campus Center, Spring, Easter , April 20th, or March 22, 23.
ICT Summit 2014
- Date: Thursday, March 27th
- N.E.R.D.S.-promote event
- Buehler committed for the day of ICT Summit 2014, recommended to have her as Speaker
- Res-Econ 112 - possible foundation for Social and Behavioral Sciences
- Need faculty from COMM on IT Steering Committee
Count OIM 453 Business Intelligence and Analytics as a Technical Course?
- Approved = Yes, Unanimous, Technical B
All three OIM courses now taught every semester
- 3 IT Minors (Non-Major) in each class
- Criteria for approval-order of request and graduate date
Majors Only Courses
- Previously, we required courses to let IT Minors (non-majors) into courses
- Decided to revisit this issue at a future meeting
Listing of Courses
- Update: course tracking with IT Program database
- Asked members to review active courses in their Colleges/Schools
- Assign Colleges/Schools to committee members to review courses-implement on web
- Ex. COMM 334 states -come to first class-Students don't know if they can get into course
- Revisit policy for course approval in future-suggestion-online discussion about course approvals
- Regularly check course offerings for new courses-split list between faculty
- By March for ICT Summit 2014, review courses that are available in order to inform ICT event
Possible New Course
English 302 New Media and Textuality, Integrated Experience, IT Minors-if graduating senior-may be allowed into course, enrollment of 35 students, Team based learning,
ICT Summit 2014
Date: March 27th, Thursday
If we revisit past meeting from 2002 and visit what is the best course/ path, how do we do this?
- Underscore importance IT Skills for all majors-showcase what departments are doing with IT
- Need upper echelon administrators attend in order to show that they could help support faculty
A single event that seeks outcomes by end of the day
Discussed various recommendations:
- Gear event to heads and chairs-smaller talks
- Present issues
- Feedback-where should we be? What departments are we not engaging?
- Prior to Julie’s Talks, Fill out survey
- Julie Buehler as Keynote?
ICT Summit Goal
Evaluate UMass Amherst and determine how the IT Program can best support/collaborate with different departments on campus and beyond?
Who to Include
- Julie Buehler
- Alum-from industry or institution-get Alum to talk from each college/school-Don't necessarily need to be tech oriented people