Each IT Account (faculty, staff or student) is allocated 100 MB of file space on the IT Web hosting server (webadmin.oit.umass.edu). URLs for Personal Web sites are: http://people.umass.edu/username where username is your NetID (IT Account user name).
- An IT Account: You will need your IT Account NetID and password to access your space on the OITUNIX server. If you do not have an account, or if you have forgotten your password, contact the IT Service Desk. Don't forget to bring your UCard!
- File Transfer Software: You will need Secure File Transfer (SFTP) software to upload and download your files. Use the Download and Use Web Site Authoring and Management Software page to find out which file transfer clients are IT-supported.
- Web Authoring Software: Web pages can be created by hand using a text editor such as NotePad (Windows) or Simple Text (Macintosh); HTML editing software such as BBEdit; or graphics software such as Macromedia Dreamweaver (recommended).
- A Connection to the Internet: You will need a computer with a connection to the Internet through the UMass network or another Internet Service Provider (ISP). Learn how to connect to the UMass Network.
- If connecting from off-campus, you may need to use the campus Virtual Private Network (VPN) service.