- UMass IT builds websites using Drupal, the university’s preferred web content management system.
- Drupal websites allow site owners, administrators, or designated content managers to easily update pages without having to learn HTML or use special authoring tools.
- Sites are hosted on UMass IT servers, providing security, backups and updates.
- Web Hosting: Designated www.umass.edu Sites
- Drupal www.umass.edu sites
- Personal Websites
- Blogs as Simple Websites
What is Drupal?
Drupal is an open source web content management system. It has been widely adopted worldwide, and is supported by an extensive community of volunteers and companies. Drupal sites may be simple or quite complex. Drupal’s core system is augmented with “themes,” which determine a site’s visual appearance, and “modules,” building blocks of code supplying additional functionality. UMass Amherst IT offers Drupal site building, theming, and custom module coding.
Websites at UMass
UMass Amherst IT offers websites for departments, research centers, and external organizations affiliated with UMass. Applications include education, administration, community outreach, and eCommerce. UMass sites are built in accordance with the Campus Web Server Site Agreement and the University Relations Brand Guide. Sites are responsive for desktop computers and mobile devices.
- Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- International Programs Office
- Trust, Assurance and Cybersecurity Certificate Program (TACC)
eCommerce sites are hosted on a dedicated secure network. They provide a secure and user-friendly interface, which may be customized for your organization’s brand and style. They may also have an external domain name. More about eCommerce at UMass.
- DEFA Film Library
- UMass Extension Bookstore
- Massachusetts Energy Efficiency Partnership (MAEEP)
- UMass Extension Garden Calendar
Special Projects include outreach and external collaborations, research and innovative course related sites.
- UMass Amherst IT charges for Drupal site development, based on a set of hourly rates.
- UMass Amherst IT works closely with each client to determine needs and objectives, and creates a Project Charter including a time and cost estimate.
- Added features or major changes may entail changes to the budget or timeline.
- Hosting is free for UMass Amherst related entities and projects.