On This Page:
UMass Amherst IT's Travel Laptop Program makes ultra-portable laptops available to full-time UMass Amherst faculty and staff for short-term use for domestic or international travel. Travel does not have to be on university business in order to borrow a laptop through this program.
Students can rent computers through the library. See Laptop Lending for more information.
- Two laptop models, subject to availability: Dell Latitude E7250 (Windows) or Apple MacBook Air 13" (Mac OS X)
- Each laptop comes with a travel case, charger, power supply (110-240V, 50/60 Hz)
- A travel power converter and/or an external CD/DVD drive may be supplied upon request
- Available software:
- Microsoft Windows or Mac OS
- Microsoft Edge (Windows) or Safari (Mac OS), Google Chrome, and Firefox web browsers
- Microsoft Office
- Microsoft Teams
- Select Adobe software
- Anti-virus & anti-malware software
- Select utility software (e.g., VPN software)
Note: You will not be able to modify system settings or install new software. Laptops have been configured to provide access to email, internet, and select software while complying with United States Federal export regulations and university security policies. They are configured to balance security and convenience and are not intended to replace your usual, daily use laptop.
Travel laptops are available to full-time UMass Amherst faculty and staff.
Faculty and staff can borrow laptops for up to two weeks. Exceptions may be made under special circumstances, subject to availability, and at the discretion of IT. Laptops are not available for extended travel, sabbaticals, or as departmental replacements.
Laptops must be reserved at least two weeks before your departure. To check availability and reserve a laptop, please fill out the request form.
If your request is approved, you will receive a confirmation and further instructions as well as the date and place to pick up your laptop.
Travel laptops are available at no additional cost.
UMass Amherst and UMass System policies:
Federal Policy, Laws, and Standards:
Contact your department’s IT professional. If your department is serviced by Enterprise Desktop Support (EDS), contact EDS at (413) 545-4048 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Otherwise, contact IT User Services at 413-545-TECH (8324) or email@example.com.