For the best Zoom security, we recommend that your meetings be configured to either have a passcode, Waiting Room, or require participants to log in ("Only authenticated users can join meetings"). Log in at umass-amherst.zoom.us and click Settings on the left to view and change your settings.
Meetings and webinars can require passcodes for an added layer of security. To make joining your meeting with an enabled passcode easier, you can choose to include your passcodes in meeting links for one-click join.
- Meeting participants can join the meeting with a single click.
- Participants who join by phone or by entering the Meeting ID will need to know the passcode to join.
- To add a passcode to an existing meeting, you will need to recreate the meeting link. This will add the embedded passcode.
- To embed a passcode into an existing meeting, be sure you select the one-click join option, then update the meeting link.
- Be sure to update your students and collaborators with the new meeting link and/or password, especially for recurring meetings.
Only Authenticated Users Can Join
The Only authenticated users can join meetings option requires participants to sign in before they can join a meeting. This can be useful if you want to restrict your participant list to verified users or users from a certain organization. UMass Amherst community members have four authentication profiles they can choose from:
- Sign in to Zoom - Participants need only to have a Zoom account, either directly through Zoom or through their institution, organization, or business (most public option).
- Sign in to UMass (UMass Amherst Users Only) - Participants must be signed in with their UMass Amherst Zoom account in order to join the meeting
- Sign in to Five Colleges (Five College Users Only) - Allows Zoom users from UMass Amherst, Smith College, Amherst College, Hampshire College, and Mt. Holyoke College to join the meeting using the Zoom account provided by their home institution
- Sign in to UMass System Schools - Allows Zoom users from UMass Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth, Lowell, and UMass Medical to join the meeting if signed in with their Zoom account provided by their home institution
You can also add individual authentication exceptions if you'd like to include specific individuals outside of those authentication profiles as participants/panelists in your meeting.
- You can specify the type of login required to join your meetings.
- Exceptions to the login requirement are allowed.
- Meeting participants may not know how or where to log in.
- Let your students and collaborators know they need to log in to Zoom before they can join your meetings.
The Waiting Room feature allows the host to control when a participant joins the meeting. As the meeting host, you can admit attendees one by one, allow users in your organization to bypass the waiting room, or hold all attendees in the Waiting Room and admit them all at once.
You can send all participants to the Waiting Room when joining your meeting, or you can allow participants from your Zoom account and participants with specified domains to bypass the Waiting Room. As the host, you can also choose to automatically move participants to the Waiting Room while a meeting is in progress if you lose connection from the meeting.
- Waiting rooms can have a customized landing page.
- Waiting rooms do not require a shared or embedded passcode to enter.
- If enabled in settings, participants with UMass Amherst email address or from other institutions can bypass the waiting room and join directly.
- As the meeting host, you can admit attendees one by one or hold all attendees in the waiting room and admit them all at once.
- Requires host to actively manage the participants for the entire meeting.