On This Page:
The following instructions will allow you to connect to UMass Amherst's encrypted wireless network, eduroam with Windows. If you are unsure about which version of windows you are running, right click on My Computer and select Properties.
Use the instructions below to connect to UMass Amherst's secure wireless network, eduroam, using our setup and configuration software, XpressConnect. You can also use these instructions to recreate your connection if it is deleted or if you change your IT Account password.
- You can run XpressConnect anywhere. UMass Amherst IT recommends running XpressConnect before arriving on campus.
- XpressConnect can run on 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows operating systems.
- Make sure that your wireless card is turned on.
- If you are on campus and haven't configured wireless before, select UMASS from your list of available wireless networks.
- Open your Web browser and go to www.umass.edu/it/xpressconnect. The Web Login page will open.
- On the Web Login page, enter your IT Account NetID and password. The Connect to eduroam with XpressConnect screen will open. Click Run XpressConnect.
- Review the End-User License Agreement, then select the box next to I accept the terms of the End-User License Agreement and click Start. A pop-up window will open and the XpressConnect wizard will run.
Note: Depending on your browser settings, you may be prompted to download and run the XpressConnect wizard manually. Check the Downloads folder on your computer and select the file NetworkWizardLoader.exe. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- In the XpressConnect window, on the Welcome screen, enter your IT Account NetID and password, then click Continue (when you enter your NetID, it will auto append "@umass.edu" in the username field. This is necessary, so leave it there).
Note: Additional software may be required. If so, the XpressConnect window will give you a prompt. Click Install.
- You may be prompted for your computer's Administrator name and password. Enter them and click OK.
Note: Your administrator user name and password are different from your IT Account NetID and password. If you do not know your administrator account information, contact your system administrator. If you do not have a system administrator, contact the IT Help Center for assistance.
- Follow the prompts to complete the installation. When installation is complete, click Done. eduroam should appear in your networks list.
- Once you are on campus, check whether the network has been properly installed and configured by opening a Web browser. If you have any issues, try re-running XpressConnect and make sure you've entered your NetID and Password correctly.
If your computer is running windows 8 or later and you are unable to connect using XpressConnect, you can connect to eduroam manually. UMass Amherst IT recommends using XpressConnect whenever possible, as manual configuration could result in network connection issues. Note: You may need to forget the eduroam network before attempting to connect manually. To do this, open Network & Internet settings, select Wi-Fi and locate Manage Known Networks. Find eduroam in the list and select "Forget" then proceed with the instructions below.
- On the bottom right task bar, click the Wi-Fi symbol. The Networks pane will appear. Select eduroam.
- In the Username field, enter your IT Account NetID followed by "@umass.edu." In the Password field, enter your IT Account Password.
- Click Accept. eduroam should appear in your networks list. Confirm that you are connected to the network by opening up a web browser to test your connectivity.