Use the instructions below to connect to UMass Amherst's encrypted wireless network, eduroam, using our setup and configuration software, XpressConnect. You can also use these instructions to recreate your connection if it is deleted or if you change your IT Account password.
- These instructions are based on OS X 10.9 (Mavericks). Depending on the version of your operating system, actual steps may vary.
- You can run XpressConnect anywhere. UMass Amherst IT recommends running XpressConnect before arriving on campus.
- You may be prompted for your IT Account NetID and password, your computer's Administrator Account user name and password, and/or your local user Keychain password multiple times during the installation process. Be sure to read the prompts carefully to ensure you are entering the correct information.
- Make sure that your wireless card is turned on.
- If you are on campus and haven't configured wireless before, select the guest SSID (UMASS) from your list of available wireless networks.
Note: After selecting the guest SSID, you may see a pop-up window containing the Wireless at UMass Amherst login. Please close this window and follow the instructions below.
- Open a Web browser and go to www.umass.edu/it/xpressconnect. The Web Login page will open.
- On the Web Login page, enter your IT Account NetID and password. The Connect to eduroam with XPressConnect screen will open. Click Run XpressConnect.
- On the UMass Amherst Wireless Network page, review the End-User License Agreement, then select the box next to I accept the terms of the End-User License Agreement, then click Start.
- A pop-up window will open notifying you that your NetID and password will be required to use eduroam. Click OK. You will return to the UMass Amherst Wireless Network Page. Click Install the Network Profile. The XpressConnect wizard will run.
Note: Depending on your browser settings, you may be prompted to download and run the XpressConnect wizard manually. Follow the instructions on the screen.
- Before the program opens, a security pop-up may open to confirm that you want to install eduroam on your computer, click Continue. The XpressConnect window will open, on the Welcome screen.
- On the Welcome screen, enter your IT Account NetID and password, then click Continue (when you enter your NetID, it will auto append "@umass.edu" in the username field. This is necessary, so leave it there). You may be prompted for your computer's Administrator Account user name and password, and/or the local Keychain password several times during the installation process. Enter them and click OK.
Note: Your Administrator Account user name and password are different from your NetID and password and your local Keychain password. If you cannot remember this information, contact the IT Help Center for assistance, or, if applicable, the IT professional in your department.
Once installed, eduroam will appear in your networks list. If you are on campus, test you internet connection by opening a web browser. If you find that you can't connect, run XpressConnect again, and make sure that your NetID and Password are entered correctly.