SecureCRT is a terminal emulation application used to access remote computers such as the UMass Amherst IT's Web hosting server. SecureCRT is SSH2-compliant and encrypts all data passed between a remote host and your personal computer.
- SecureCRT is available at no cost to members of the UMass Amherst community. You can obtain a copy from our SecureCRT download page, then follow the rest of the instructions below.
Double-click the SecureCRT install file (scrt.exe) to run it. Follow the directions on the screen.
Windows 7 Users:
- Before you can install this program, Windows may present you with a User Account Control window, asking you for permission to proceed. Click Allow or Yes to continue installing the software.
- During installation, in the Select Profile Options screen, select Personal Profile to ensure that SecureCRT can access the necessary folders on your computer to operate properly. Selecting this option means that any other users on your computer will have to set up SecureCRT profiles of their own, but they will still be able to use the program.
- We recommend that you accept the default install folder and filenames.
SecureCRT is now ready to connect to a host.
- If you are off-campus, dial in to IT to establish a connection. (If you are connected to the campus network, make sure your connection is working.)
- Start SecureCRT. SecureCRT will open on the Connect screen. Your version of SecureCRT from IT comes pre-configured for connecting to IT's Web hosting server.
- Select webadmin.oit.umass.edu connection.
- In the Connect window, click the Properties icon (at top, middle).
- In the Session Options - webadmin.oit.umass.edu window, make sure SSH2 is selected in the Protocol: field. Click OK to close the Session Options window.
- In the Connect window, click Connect.
- The first time you connect, SecureCRT will give you an error message because webadmin.oit.umass.edu is an alias to several hosts. Click Accept & Save.
- Next, enter your IT Account NetID and password.
- You now have a Secure Shell (SSH) connection to IT's Web hosting server.