Virtual Private Networking (VPN) software creates an encrypted connection between your off-campus computer and the campus network. Members of the university community can use VPN software to connect securely to the campus network from off-campus (e.g., to access some campus servers or online library databases). Pulse Secure VPN software is available to members of the university community at no cost from the Supported Software & Downloads page.
Note: These instructions are for connecting to the UMASS VPN realm. If you need to connect to a departmental realm, please contact your department's IT professional.
Step 1: Obtain & Install Pulse Secure VPN Software
Please consult with the IT professional in your department before making changes to your university-owned computer.
- Open the Pulse Secure VPN Client software page. From the Download box (on right), click the Pulse Secure VPN Client Mac OS X file. The Web Login screen will appear.
- In the Web Login screen, enter your NetID and NetID password. The Pulse Secure Installer will automatically download.
- Find the Pulse Secure Installer file in your Downloads folder and right click > Open on the icon to install. The Pulse Secure Installer will open.
- Follow the steps in the installer. You may be prompted to enter your computer's Administrator name and password.
Step 2: Connect to VPN
- Go to Finder > Applications > Pulse Secure. Pulse Secure will open.
- In the Pulse Secure window, click the plus sign (+) on the bottom left corner of the screen to add a new connection. The New Connection window will open.
In the New Connection window:
- In the Name field, enter a name for the VPN connection
- In the Server URL field, enter sslvpn.umass.edu.
- Click Add. You will return to the Pulse Secure window.
- Next to your new VPN connection, click Connect. The Realms screen will appear.
- In the Realms screen, select UMASS. Click Connect. The Sign in screen will appear.
In the Sign in screen:
- In the User name field, enter your NetID.
- In the Password field, enter your NetID password.
- Click Connect. You will return to the Pulse Secure window.
- To end your VPN session, click Disconnect.