Virtual Private Networking (VPN) software creates a secure, encrypted connection between your off-campus computer and the campus network. Members of the University community can use VPN software to connect securely to the campus network from off-campus (e.g., to access some campus servers).
Get Added to a VPN Group
To connect to the VPN, members of the University community should contact the IT Help Center. UMass Amherst IT will work with you to assess your specific needs and determine if the VPN is the right solution for you. If VPN meets your needs, UMass Amherst IT will add you to the list of approved VPN users and provide you with a group name (realm). This information is required to log in to the SSL VPN Web Portal.
Connect to VPN through VPN Web Portal
- Go to https://sslvpn.umass.edu. Note: the VPN Web Portal is configured for Internet Explorer for Windows and Safari for Mac.
- The UMass VPN Web Portal will open.
- In the NetID field, enter your NetID.
- In the Password field, enter your NetID password.
- In the Realm field, enter the Realm assigned to you by your department IT professional or the IT Help Center.
- Use the Browse field at the top right of the screen to navigate to on-campus resources (e.g., file servers, desktop) or Web pages. You will need to return to the VPN Web Portal for each new Web page or resource you access.
Note: Do not enter the address in the address bar for your Web browser, this will direct you out of the VPN Secure Access Service Web browser.
- To end your session, click Sign Out.