On This Page:
Invite your guests to use the UMASS wireless network on campus! UMass Amherst students, faculty, and staff may use SPIRE to create temporary accounts for visitors who need to access the UMASS wireless network.
- The UMASS wireless network does NOT use WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) and is not encrypted. Guests from institutions that use eduroam may connect to the encrypted eduroam wireless network.
- Wireless Network Access Only: These accounts may be used ONLY to access the UMASS. Guests will not be able to access other UMass Amherst computing services (library databases, computers in IT computer classrooms, etc.) using this account information or Eduroam.
- 3 accounts, 3 days: UMass Amherst students, faculty, and staff may create up to three accounts at once. Each account is valid for three days. If you are a faculty or staff member and need a guest account that is valid longer than three days, have your guest fill out a Courtesy Account (NENS) form.
- UMass students, faculty, and staff are responsible for their guests' activities on the network.
- Passwords: UMass Amherst IT does not keep a record of guest passwords. You must communicate the password to your guest. You may change the password at any time.
- Getting Help: Guests experiencing trouble accessing or using the network should contact you, their account sponsor. You may contact the IT Help Center (413-545-9400) on their behalf.
- Navigation: In SPIRE, go to Main Menu > IT Accounts > Manage Guest Accounts.
Set Up a Guest Wireless Account
- In SPIRE, go to Main Menu > IT Accounts > Manage Guest Accounts.
- On the Guest Wireless Accounts page:
- In the Guest Name field, enter your guest's full name.
- Click Create Guest Account.
- Take note of the Account Name. Print the confirmation page for your records. The account information is also emailed to your campus email address.
- Click Set Account Password at My IT Accounts.
- On the My IT Accounts - Account List page, click the Account Name for the account you just created. The type will be Guest and the expiration date will be three days away.
- On the My IT Accounts - Account Detail page, click Change Password and follow the instructions. Your guest will use the password you create to connect to the UMASS wireless network.
- Give your guest a copy of the confirmation page or forward the email you received when you created the account. Also give your guest a copy of the IT Acceptable Use Policy. You must communicate the password to your guest - the password is not included in the confirmation email.
Manage Your Guest Wireless Accounts
- In SPIRE, go to Main Menu > IT Accounts > My IT Accounts. Or go to Main Menu > IT Accounts > Manage Guest Accounts and click View/Change Existing Account.
- On the My IT Accounts - Account List page, click the Account Name you wish to update.
- Use the My IT Accounts - Account Detail page to change the account password.
To delete a guest account:
- Go to Main Menu > IT Accounts > Manage Guest Accounts.
- Select the account you wish to delete.
- Click Delete Selected.
Guests, Connect to the UMASS Network
Important! The UMASS wireless network does NOT use WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) and is not encrypted.
- Guests, ensure that you are in a wireless coverage area and your wireless card is enabled. You should be able to see UMASS listed as an available network.
- From your list of available wireless networks, select UMASS.
- Open your Web browser. The UMass Wireless Network Login page will open.
- On the UMass Wireless Network Login page:
- In the NetID field, enter the user name from the confirmation email.
- In the Password field, enter the password set up by your sponsor.