On This Page:
View Class Rosters Using SPIRE
Staff with SPIRE B access, learn more about using SPIRE to view your department's class rosters.
- In the SPIRE Menu go to Class Rosters & Reports > View Class Rosters.
- On the View Class Rosters search page, the institution field value defaults to UMass Amherst. You must specify a term. Fill in any other search criteria you want to use, for example subject area or catalog number. Click any magnifying glass look up icons () to see your available choices for the Academic Institution, Term, or Subject Area search fields.
- Click Search to get a list of the class rosters that meet your selected search criteria. Your results display on the same page under the heading Search Results.
- Use the blue navigation bar if needed to review your list of class rosters. By default the table shows 100 results at a time. If you have more than 100 results, to see all of them click View All at the left top of the results table. To return to seeing 100 results at a time, click View 100. Alternately click Last at the right top of the results table to see the last rows of the search results table. Click First to return to viewing the first 100 results. Note: First and Last are inactive when View All is selected.
- Click anywhere in a row to see that class roster.
Work with Class Rosters in SPIRE
- On the Class Roster page, the class information is at the top of the page. Click the yellow Class Detail button to view the Class Details page for the roster.
- To change and work with the view settings for the class roster:
The class roster default view setting shows only the students enrolled in the class.
By default the class roster shows only enrolled students. Select from the Enrollment Status drop-down list to show Enrolled, Dropped, Waiting or All students as applicable.
- All includes any dropped, waiting or enrolled students.
- The Dropped and Waiting options only appear when there are students who dropped or are on the waiting list for the class.
When All is selected, dropped or waiting status is noted in parentheses following the student's name, in the Name column, and all the other students are enrolled.
When Waiting is selected, a new column appears in the table for Enroll. Click the Enroll button for any waiting student to open the Enrollment Request page. Copy the class number from the note at the top of the page and then process the enrollment request in the usual way to enroll the student in the class.
- You can change the way the class roster information table displays information by clicking Customize.
- Search for a specific student ID # by clicking Find.
- Download the class roster to your computer desktop as an Excel file by clicking the Download icon ().
Your browser security settings may block the download function from working. If you click the download icon and nothing happens, you will need to adjust your browser security settings to allow downloads specifically for SPIRE, in order to use this feature.
To allow downloads using Internet Explorer, in your Internet Explorer security settings, make SPIRE one of your trusted sites. Then, set your trusted sites security setting to Low.
For questions about changing browser security settings to set-up trusted Web sites and allow downloads only for those sites, consult your browser Help, consult the IT contact for your department, or contact the IT Help Center.
- See our Printing from SPIRE instructions to find out how to print this roster directly from your browser.
- Use the blue navigation bar to review the list of enrolled students. By default the table shows 100 names at a time. If there are more than 100 names, to see all of them click View All. To return to seeing 100 results at a time, click View 100. Alternately click Last to see the last rows of the search results table and First to return to viewing the first 100 results. Note: First and Last are inactive when View All is selected.
To communicate with one or more students listed on a class roster, use the Notify All Students or Notify Selected Students options directly following the class roster table, at the bottom of the Class Roster page. To email all students in the class, click Notify All Students. To email only selected students, use the check boxes to select students to receive the email then click Notify Selected Students.
An email page opens then within SPIRE, with the students’ email addresses in the BCC (blind carbon copy) field and your email address in the To field (so that you receive a copy of the email). Protect student confidentiality by keeping the student addresses in the BCC field. Edit the text of the email as you wish. When you are satisfied with the email, click Send Notificationat the bottom of the email page to send the email.
Reminder to Take Care with FERPA Protected Information
Remember that class rosters contain FERPA protected student information. For further details, please review the FERPA Tutorial in the About FERPA Certification documentation.
If you elect to download an Excel file version of a class roster, protect the file with a password and store it a on secure desktop computer or secure department server. Do not store class roster files on laptops, public computers, or external storage devices such as flash drives.
If you need to share class rosters with other University Staff, do so using a shared folder on a secure server. Do not send class roster information via email.
If you print a class roster, maintain the printout securely in a locked file or cabinet when not in use. Make sure to shred the printout if it is no longer needed.