On This Page:
SPIRE Logon Essentials
Students, Faculty, Staff, Applicants: Use your NetID (IT Account user name) and password to log on to SPIRE. More about NetIDs & Passwords
Alumni, Inactive Students:
Did you ever log in to SPIRE as an active student?
Yes: Use your 8-digit SPIRE ID instead of your NetID to log on to SPIRE, if your NetID has expired. NetIDs typically remain in the system for six months after a student leaves UMass.
- Use Password & NetID Help - described below - to retrieve your SPIRE ID and a temporary password, if needed.
- Note: You must have access to the non-UMass email account that SPIRE has on record for you in order to receive your ID and password. If no such address exists or you no longer have access to one that does exist in SPIRE, contact the IT Help Center at 413-545-9400 and press 1 for Account Management.
No: You cannot use SPIRE.
- If you need an official or unofficial transcript, please visit the University Registrar's Transcripts page.C
- For other records, contact the appropriate registrar’s office for the records you seek, whether that is the University Registrar for most undergraduate records, the Graduate School, the Stockbridge School of Agriculture, or University Without Walls.
Password & NetID Help
Forget your NetID?
Your NetID (IT Account user name) is your primary user name for all IT services. This is the same ID that you use to access campus email or the campus network. Your NetID is a case-sensitive ID based on your first and/or last name; it is not your Social Security Number, or your 8-digit ID from your UCard.
Applicants: If you don't know yor NetID, we will email you your NetID and a temporary password. On the SPIRE Logon page, under IT Accounts (right side of the page), click Password & NetID Help.
Students & Employees: If you forget your NetID, get in touch with the IT Service Desk via phone or in-person.
Forget your password?
On the SPIRE Logon page, under IT Accounts (right side of the page), click Password & NetID Help to retrieve your password reminder or to get a new temporary password.
To get a temporary password, you need one of the following:
- A non-Umass email address stored in SPIRE
- A cell phone entered into our UMass Amherst Alerts system
- Email forwarding set for your campus email
Stop by the IT Service Desk or the Learning Commons & Technical Support Desk (Lower level of the W.E.B. Du Bois Library) with a picture ID.
What If I Have Two SPIRE Accounts (a.k.a. Roles)?
If you are an instructor or staff member, as well as a student, your NetID and password by default access instructor/staff account. To log on as a student, on the SPIRE Logon page enter your NetID and password, click the Use alternate role check box and then click Go.
If you are a student, and also have an on-campus job where you use SPIRE, your NetID and password by default access your SPIRE for staff account. Your SPIRE ID number and password (if you have that) by default accesses your student account. To log on as a student, on the SPIRE Logon page enter your NetID and password, select the Use alternate role check box and then click Go.
To change the default from instructor/staff to student, you can select your preferred SPIRE role and link your NetID with the SPIRE account of your choice.
Set Up a Preferred SPIRE Role
If you have two SPIRE accounts (a.k.a. roles), SPIRE will log you on as an instructor/staff member by default when you use your NetID. To change this default, update your preferences with a preferred role.
- In the SPIRE Menu, go to My SPIRE > Select Preferred SPIRE Role. The Select Your Preferred SPIRE Role page opens, displaying your current role (i.e., the SPIRE account to which you logged on.)
- On the Select Your Preferred SPIRE Role page, select Student or Instructor/Staff as your preferred role, then click Save Preference. The page will refresh displaying your updates. A message, Preference Saved, appears in blue at the bottom of the page.
- Once you choose a preferred role, SPIRE will automatically log you on to this preferred role when you use your NetID and password.
- To log on to your other SPIRE account, use your NetID and select the Use alternate role check box on the SPIRE Logon page.