The Edit Classes option allows you to update your enrollment preferences (e.g., number of credits, instructor's name, grading options) for classes that you have already added to your schedule. It is best to make these changes before the end of the registration period.
You can also use this option to change only the lab or discussion section for a class. During enrollment period, the Edit Classes option allows you to switch discussion or lab sections. If you need to change both the lecture and lab/discussion for a class, then use the Swap Classes option instead.
- In the SPIRE Menu, go to Enrollment > Edit Classes. The Select a class to edit page opens.
On the Select a class to edit page:
- From the Select from your schedule drop-down list, select the class you wish to edit. If you want to change a lab or discussion section, select the class which is associated with the discussion or lab you wish to switch.
If you selected a class with an associated lab or discussion, the Select a class to edit - Related Class Sections page opens.
* Select a related section to switch to. Click View All Sections in the lower blue navigation bar to see all the available options for discussions or labs (as applicable).
* Click Next. The Select class to edit - Enrollment Preferences page opens.
- If you selected a class with no lab or discussion, on the lower right corner of the page, click Proceed to Step 2 of 3. The Select class to edit - Enrollment Preferences page will open.
If you want to update your enrollment preferences for a class, on the Select a class to edit - Enrollment Preferences page:
- From the Grading drop-down list, select a different grading basis (e.g., Elective Pass/Fail Grading, Audit, etc.) if applicable.
- (Variable-credit classes only) From the Units drop-down list, select the number of credits you wish to take for this class (up to 6) if applicable.
- (Independent studies only) From the Instructor drop-down list, select a different instructor if applicable. Instructors' names are listed alphabetically.
- Click Next. The Confirm your selections page will open.
- On the Confirm your selections page, double-check your selection(s) and check your number of credits (if changed) by comparing the Original Value and New Value columns. Click Finish Editing. The View Results page will open.
On the View results page, review the status of your edits:
- A green check mark () indicates that your edits were successful.
A red x () indicates an error. Carefully read the message associated with this error, and click Fix Errors if this is an error that you can fix yourself (e.g., a time conflict that you could resolve by dropping another class, etc.). You will return to the Select classes to add page. If this is an error that you cannot fix, contact the academic department that offers this class or the Registrar's Office (209 Whitmore, 413.545.0555) for more information.
Note: You must delete any 'unfixable' classes from your Shopping Cart. Otherwise, SPIRE will try to re-add them when you click Proceed to Step 2 of 3 next, and you will get an error every time.