Primary Instructor (PI) – Instructor of Record
- This person is responsible for delivering the primary instruction in the class.
- Only faculty (including lecturers) and grad students may be designated as PIs.
- Grad students responsible for lab or discussion sections should always be assigned a PI role (faculty members supervising such section leaders may be assigned the SA role).
- Only faculty members may be designated PIs for independent study, practicum, or thesis activity.
- For graduate courses, PIs must be approved members of the graduate faculty.
- For classes that are co-taught, there may be multiple PIs.
Instructional Support - Section Assistant (SA), Teaching Assistant (TA), or Moodle or Blackboard Learn Only (Mdl/B Only)
- Refers to a wide range of activities to support the work of PIs, including curriculum support, grading papers, managing on-line resources and preparing experiments.
- For individuals making a minor or occasional contribution (e.g., a guest lecturer).
- Faculty members, including those who supervise grad or undergrad students who serve as PIs for discussion or lab sections, should be assigned the SA role.
- Faculty members who submit grades for independent study, thesis, or similar work, but who are not the supervisors of such work, should be given the SA role.
- Graduate students assigned to any form of instructional support should be given the TA role. Graduate students responsible for lab or discussion sections should be given the PI role.
- Undergraduate students who assist with a class can only be give the Mdl/B Only role.