On This Page:
NVivo is software that supports qualitative and mixed methods research. The software enables you to collect, organize, and analyze content from interviews, focus group discussions, surveys, audio, social media, and the Web.
- Ability to import data from multiple media (MS Office, audio, video, images, HTML, social media).
- Mulitple coding options using a range of techniques, including a QuickCoding box.
- Powerful search, query, and data visualization tools.
For more information, see the NVivo product overview website.
Please complete the NVivo Software License Registration Form
Individuals interested in using NVivo should first contact their departments and inquire about a departmental license. One may have already been obtained, or your department may be interested in obtaining one. Contact IT Software Licensing (firstname.lastname@example.org) to obtain the name of the technical liaison in your department who can provide you with the product key.
Note: This is a term license agreement and the product code will change every year.
IT will be contacting participating departments, schools, colleges, and individuals when their licenses need to be renewed.
- NVivo can be used for research and instruction, but not for administrative projects.
- UMass Amherst faculty, research staff, and graduate students are eligible to use NVivo licenses obtained from IT.
- Users may have a second copy, but the software can only run on one device at a time.
- The license key cannot be distributed to ineligible users or to those who have not paid for the license.
- Check NVivo's system requirements before downloading.
- Obtain the license key (see above).
Download the software. To install the program, double-click the file that you downloaded to extract the installation files to a temporary folder on your computer. Open this folder and double-click the file ending in .exe. Follow the prompts of the installation wizard.
- Launch the software- you will be prompted to enter and activate the license key.
- Click on the File tab.
- Click on Help.
- Click on Manage license.
- To apply your new license, choose Replace License. Enter the License key in the fields provided.
- Click on the NVivo menu.
- To apply your new license, choose Replace License, under Licensing in the NVivo menu.
Need help using Nvivo? Try the NVivo Support page.