NVivo is software that supports qualitative and mixed methods research. The software enables you to collect, organize, and analyze content from interviews, focus group discussions, surveys, audio, social media, and the Web.
- Ability to import data from multiple media (MS Office, audio, video, images, HTML, social media).
- Mulitple coding options using a range of techniques, including a QuickCoding box.
- Powerful search, query, and data visualization tools.
For more information, see the NVivo product overview website.
Individuals interested in purchasing NVivo should first contact their departments and inquire about a departmental license. One may have already been purchased or your department may be interested in obtaining one. Note: If already purchased, contact Gloria Chang-Wade (email@example.com) or Narda Wakoluk (firstname.lastname@example.org) to obtain the name of the technical liaison who can provide you with the product key.
A fourteen day trial version of NVivo is available from the QSR Web site.
There are three different licensing options available at UMass Amherst. Each option requires a three-year commitment:
- (Recommended) Schools and Colleges can purchase an initial license for $2,000; costs in subsequent years will be based on usage. This license will cover all faculty, research staff, and graduate students in the departments affiliated with that school or college. Note: Renewal price will then be determined by subsequent usage within the School or College.
- (Recommended) Departments can purchase a departmental license for $324.00 in the first year; $204 in subsequent years. This will cover all faculty, research staff, and graduate students within that department.
- Individual software licenses can be purchased for $130.00 in the first year; $81 in subsequent years.
Note: This is a term license agreement and the product code will change every year.
Purchase the license key from:
- IT Finance (School, College, and Departmental Licenses):
Business managers can contact Gloria Chang-Wade (email@example.com) or Narda Wakoluk (firstname.lastname@example.org) with a departmental speed type.
- IT Help Center (Individual Licenses):
Please complete the NVivo Software License Registration Form and return it to The IT Help Center in Lederle Graduate Research Center, room A109, or send it via email to email@example.com.
Note: Check with your department to make sure the software license has not already been purchased or whether your department may be interested in defraying the cost. If already purchased, contact Gloria Chang-Wade (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Narda Wakoluk (email@example.com) to obtain the name of the technical liaison who can provide you with the product key.
IT will be contacting participating departments, schools, colleges, and individuals when their licenses need to be renewed.
- NVivo can be used for research and instruction, but not for administrative projects.
- UMass Amherst faculty, research staff, and graduate students are eligible to use NVivo licenses obtained from IT.
- Users may have a second copy, but the software can only run on one device at a time.
- The license key cannot be distributed to ineligible users or to those who have not paid for the license.
- Check NVivo's system requirements before downloading.
- Obtain the license key (see above).
Download the software. To install the program, double-click the file that you downloaded to extract the installation files to a temporary folder on your computer. Open this folder and double-click the file ending in .exe. Follow the prompts of the installation wizard.
- Launch the software- you will be prompted to enter and activate the license key.
Need help using Nvivo? Try the QSR tutorials and knowledge base.