UMass Amherst departments, faculty, and staff can obtain Microsoft software and operating systems at no additional cost for University-owned computers through the Microsoft Campus Agreement. This three-year program was created through a contract between UMass Amherst/UMass Amherst IT and Microsoft.
On this page you'll find information about the program and instructions on how to obtain and install the software.
About the Program
- Software is available for download from the Microsoft Campus Agreement Web site.
- Products should be installed only on University-owned computers (e.g., offices, computer labs, and classrooms). A home use option is available for select products for a small fee (see below for more information).
- This program does not extend to students or retirees. Undergraduate, graduate, and postdoctoral students can obtain free or low-cost Microsoft products through our other volume discount programs, Azure Dev Tools for Teaching (for students enrolled in STEM courses) and GovConnection.
- If applicable, please consult with IT staff in your department before installing software on a work computer.
- Your use of the software available through this program is subject to End User License Agreement (EULA).
We offer the latest Microsoft products, some of which may not be officially supported by UMass Amherst IT.
- Windows operating systems
- Microsoft Office Suite (Professional or Enterprise bundle) for Windows and Macintosh
- Client Access Licenses (CALs) for Windows server
The following products are not available through this program:
- Microsoft Office products not included in the Professional or Enterprise bundle (e.g., Project, Visio)
- Windows server or server-based products (e.g., Exchange, SQL Server, SQL CALs)
How to Obtain & Install Software
The following is an overview of the process for obtaining and installing software from the Microsoft Campus Agreement. Additional steps may be required.
Step 1: Choose A Product
Go to the Microsoft Campus Agreement Product List and log in with your IT Account NetID and Password. Click a software title for the product description and system requirements or click Download to get started.
Step 2: Download & Mount ISO Image
Step 3: Install Software
On the DVD or virtual mount, click the .exe (Windows) or .dmg (Macintosh) file. Follow the prompts to install the software on one or more University-owned computers. You can use the the same DVD to install the software on multiple computers.
Step 4: Activate Software
Some products will need to be activated before use, while others are ready to use once installed. Two activation options are available:
- KMS Activation - recommended for on-campus computers connected to the UMass Amherst wired network. Note: Computers using this activation method need to be connected the UMass Amherst network periodically (at least once every 4 to 6 months) to allow them to check in with the KMS server to keep their activation valid.
- MAK Activation - recommended for laptops connected to the campus wireless network and off-campus computers. An activation key will be sent to your preferred email address (as listed in SPIRE).