On This Page:
MATLAB (matrix laboratory) is a numerical computing environment and fourth-generation programming language. Developed by MathWorks, MATLAB allows matrix manipulations, plotting of functions and data, implementation of algorithms, creation of user interfaces, and interfacing with programs written in other languages, including C, C++, Java, and Fortran.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst has a Total Academic Headcount (TAH) license for MATLAB, Simulink and companion toolboxes, which allows us to offer the product at a significantly reduced price. The TAH license covers on-campus and home software use as well as classroom and lab installations for all instructors, eligible staff, researchers, and students.
The agreement is advantageous to the campus community as it includes MATLAB, Simulink, and 16 other toolboxes that do not come with a normal license. Note: Not for commercial use.
|MATLAB||DSP System Toolbox||SimMechanics|
|Simulink||Image Processing Toolbox||Simscape|
|Bioinformatics Toolbox||Instrument Control Toolbox||Simulink Control Design|
|Control System Toolbox||Optimization Toolbox||Stateflow|
|Curve Fitting Toolbox||Parallel Computing Toolbox||Statistics Toolbox|
|Data Acquisition Toolbox||Signal Processing Toolbox||Symbolic Math Toolbox|
Note: If you need toolboxes that are not included in the TAH license, contact MathWorks directly to purchase them. MathWorks Contact: Alyssa Silverman at 508-647-4343 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once your payment has been processed (typically within 2 business days), you will receive instructions and the product key at the university email you provided on the form.
- Designated Computer (stand alone) license - $150/seat
- Network/Concurrent - $200 - covers up to 4 concurrent users ($50 per additional concurrent user)
- Designated Computer (stand alone) license - $75/seat
- Network license - $100 - covers up to 4 concurrent users ($25 per additional concurrent user)
- Network/Group Legacy Users - same maintenance cost as previous year
- A MATLAB trial membership is available to UMass Amherst students at a 100% discount. To receive a current discounted MATLAB subscription, students must send an email to the IT Help Center (email@example.com), or visit the Help Center in A109, LGRC Lowrise, Mon-Fri 8:30 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.
- A MATLAB license can be used for research and instruction.
- Faculty & Staff: A MATLAB Designated Computer (stand alone) license entitles you to install on a university-owned device with a second copy allowed on a personal device owned by faculty or staff, but not on a student device.
- Students: A MATLAB student trial membership entitles you to install on your personal device.
Note: Not for commercial use.
- Check MATLAB's system requirements before downloading.
- Once your payment is received you will get a confirmation email from MathWorks. In the email, click the link, log in with the temporary password provided, and then change your password. Note: If you already have an account with MathWorks, go to the site and log in with your current password.
- If you are unsure of your password, use the Forgot Password link.
- Once logged in to the MathWorks site, you will see the My Software page. Your license with the university is listed in the table in the middle of the page. Toward the right of that line, click the blue arrow, pointing down; this is the download link.
- On the Downloads page, click the blue button in the middle of the page to download the latest version. For an earlier version, select the version you need from the list on the right.
- This will open a screen with the choice to download the Windows, Mac or Linux version of the installer. Click on the appropriate link to choose the appropriate version for your computer. Your download will begin.
- Next, follow MathWorks Install Software Instructions.
For download & installation questions, contact the IT Help Center. UMass Amherst IT provides limited support for MATLAB and related products.
Need help using MATLAB? Try the MathWorks TAH Resource Kit.