About Secunia PSI
Secunia Personal Software Inspector (PSI) is a program that scans your computer for outdated software and provides you with links and other information to help keep your programs up-to-date. It is distributed free of charge for personal use.
We recommend using Secunia PSI along with anti-virus and anti-malware software to keep your system and your data secure.
Note: Although UMass Amherst IT supports Secunia PSI, we do not support all of the programs that Secunia PSI scans on your computer. See our list of Supported Software & Downloads for more information.
Install & Configure Secunia PSI
Note: Use these instructions to install Secunia PSI and run your first scan. If you have used Secunia PSI before, skip to Run a Routine Secunia PSI Scan.
- Open your Web browser and go to: http://secunia.com/vulnerability_scanning/personal/ then click Download (at right). You will be prompted to save the program to your computer.
- Select a location for the installation file on your computer (e.g., your Desktop) and click Save.
- Locate and double-click the Secunia PSI installation file (PSIsetup.exe). An Open File - Security Warning window (or User Account Control window for Windows 7) may open asking if you wish to run the installation file. Click Run or Yes to continue the process. The PSI Setup Wizard window will open and guide you through the installation process.
Follow the installation prompts until the process is complete. We recommend that you keep the default installation settings. Once the installation is complete, click Finish to close the installation window. The PSI Setup Wizard window will open asking you to launch the program. Click Yes. Secunia PSI will open.
Note: Once open, Secunia PSI will begin scanning your computer automatically.
In the Secunia PSI window, under Security Threats, you will see a list of outdated or insecure programs installed on your computer. For more information on how to proceed, see step four under Run a Routine Secunia PSI Scan.
Note: Secunia PSI will automatically update itself by downloading and installing patches from the developer's Web site. Occasionally, you may be prompted to install some of these updates manually, we recommend that you do so. Consult the program's Help documentation or the Secunia PSI Web site for more information.
Run a Routine Secunia PSI Scan
- Go to Start > All Programs and click Secunia PSI. The Secunia PSI window will open.
- In the Secunia PSI window, click Start Scan (upper right). Secunia PSI will begin scanning your computer. You will see a progress bar that indicates the status of your scan.
- Once the scan is complete, a confirmation window will open which summarizes the results of the scan. Click Close to close this window and return to the main Secunia PSI window.
In the Secunia PSI window, under Security Threats, you will see a list of outdated or insecure programs installed on your computer. These are programs for which updates or new versions are available that solve instability or other security problems.
- In the Solution column, you'll find links to possible fixes for your programs. Click these icons to download patches or the latest versions of these applications.
- To learn more about the risks that each program poses to your system place your mouse cursor over Threat Rating bar next to the respective program. If you click the Threat Rating bar, the Secunia Web site will open in a new browser window with additional security information about the program.