Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware software is a program you can use to protect your computer from spyware, adware, and other malicious software. For maximum protection, UMass Amherst IT recommends that you use both Malwarebytes and McAfee Endpoint Security once a month.
Note: Malwarebytes is a Windows-only application.
Download & Install Malwarebytes
The version of Malwarebytes you will download is free. Malwarebytes is distributed for free by the developer for personal use.
Note: The free version of Malwarebytes requires you to check for updates before every scan. These updates are completed automatically in Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO.
- Go to https://www.malwarebytes.com/antimalware/.
- Click Download free version. You may be redirected to another site; follow the instructions on that page to download Malwarebytes.
Note: If prompted to purchase Malwarebytes, decline and proceed with the free version.
- Save the installation file to your computer.
- After the download is complete, double-click the file to begin installing Malwarebytes.
- Follow the instructions on the installation screen. Note: Make sure Enable free trial of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO is unchecked.
- After you finish installing Malwarebytes, update its malware definitions before you scan your computer.
Update & Run Malwarebytes
Update Your Malware Database
Updating your malware database ensures Malwarebytes can detect the newest forms of malicious software. You should always update Malwarebytes before running a scan.
- Make sure you are connected to the Internet.
- Open Malwarebytes. Windows 7 or Vista may prompt you with a User Account Control window, asking if you want to allow Malwarebytes to make changes to your computer. Click Yes.
- Malwarebytes will generally prompt you to download and install any available updates when you open the program. To check for and install updates manually, click the Update tab, then click Check for Updates.
You are now ready to run a scan.
If running scans with Malwarebytes and McAfee Endpoint Security do not resolve problems you are experiencing with your computer, contact the IT Help Center.
- On Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware screen, click the Scanner tab. The Scanner window will open.
- On the Scanner window, select one of the first two options:
- Perform quick scan: Recommended in most cases.
- Perform full scan: Select this option if a quick scan has not solved your problem.
- Click Scan. If you are running a quick scan, Malwarebytes will start scanning. If you are running a full scan, select the disk drive to scan, then click Scan.
- If Malwarebytes detects a threat, it will place the suspicious file in quarantine. After the scan is complete, click the Quarantine tab and review the threats Malwarebytes detected:
- Malwarebytes may occasionally classify a legitimate program as malware. If you think Malwarebytes quarantined a legitimate program, select its name and click Restore.
- To permanently delete a malware program, select its name and click Delete.
- If you’re not sure whether the threat is malware or a legitimate program, contact the IT Help Center.
- After the scan is complete and you have addressed any threats placed in quarantine, click Exit to close Malwarebytes.