On This Page:
Note: Under a new university-wide contract, Sophos Intercept X Advanced is replacing McAfee endpoint protection at UMass Amherst. More information will follow.
For questions, contact the IT professional in your department as applicable, or IT User Services.
UMass Amherst IT currently offers departments several tools that can help protect computers and data, and mitigate potential data security incidents
Secunia CSI to Manage Third-Party Applications
Secunia Corporate Software Inspector (CSI) is an application that checks for vulnerable programs and provides direct links to relevant patches and updates.
- Identifying vulnerable or outdated third-party applications.
- Patching and updating third-party applications.
How to Use: The centralized dashboard shows the status of individual devices.
System Requirements: The centralized dashboard is available for Windows XP, 2003, 2008, Vista, and 7. Secunia CSI is not available for Mac OS X.
How to Obtain: Contact UMass Amherst IT LAN Support (firstname.lastname@example.org) for a departmental license.
Resources: Secunia CSI Web site
McAfee ePO for Centralized Security Scans
McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) is a centralized system for managing McAfee scans for multiple computers or networks.
- Identifying viruses, malware, or other malicious software on departmental computing devices.
- Receiving email alerts when malware or other threats are detected.
How to Use: Supports integration with Microsoft Active Directory. Queries, dashboards, reports, and tasks can be customized to fit your department's workflow. Issues can be remediated from a single user interface.
System Requirements: Windows Server 2003 Enterprise, Standard or Web with SP2 or later, Windows Server 2003 R2 Enterprise or R2 Standard with SP2 or later, Windows Server 2008.
How to Obtain: Contact UMass Amherst IT LAN Support (email@example.com) for a free departmental license. Licenses are available for individual computers or servers.
Resources: McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator Web site
IBM ISS Firewall to Manage Network Traffic
IBM ISS Firewall is a Windows firewall solution that integrates IPS functionality and allows management and reporting through a central console.
- Blocking unwanted network traffic.
- Detecting and preventing malicious network attacks.
How to Use: A central console offers easy management and reporting capabilities.
System Requirements: Windows XP i386, Windows Vista i386. Windows Server 2003 i386/x64, Windows Server 2008 i386/x64 (Server 2008 R2 is not supported).
How to Obtain: Contact UMass Amherst IT LAN Support (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Cost (subject to change):
- Individual computers: $14.11 per computer for the first year (includes maintenance); $2.50 per computer for subsequent years.
- Servers: $653.06 per server for the first year; $129 per server for subsequent years.
Vulnerability Scanning to Prevent Network Attacks
UMass Amherst IT offers departments two types of vulnerability scanning:
- On-demand scans for departmental networks.
- Scans for individual departmental devices (high-value assets only). These scans are available through a third-party scanning company and cannot be requested on a recurring basis.
How to Obtain: Contact email@example.com for more information.